FM Tuner Capabilities/Apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by hawtie, Jan 30, 2010.

1. hawtie

hawtie New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So, I was at the local YMCA yesterday, and I noticed their TV's use FM xx.x radio broadcast.

I looked at my ipod touch, and was hoping to tune into the channel (volume wise).

Is there an APP for this? Or jailbroken capabilities?

I don't need to pick up Local radio stations with apps like Free public radio, I need to be able to tune into the the TV at the gym.
  2. Hollistor

Hollistor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This can be done, but i dont know how
  3. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The hardware exists, it's just not been activated by Apple yet. There is a FM receiver/transmitter in the 3g and a the BT chip in the 2g has the ability to function as a FM receiver.

As far as I know, there is no known way yet to activate the chip ourselves.
  4. fiftyfour123

fiftyfour123 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The AOL radio app in the app store has a lot of internet streams of radio stations.
  5. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes but that's not what the OP was wanting to use the FM receiver for, not to mention that's just listening in on a radio station that is being streamed.
  6. hawtie

hawtie New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    awwh man,

thanks for the answer.

I guess ill keep searching until it can.
  7. Miadhawk

Miadhawk Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    That would be great, I learned aboiut the FM tuner a whiule ago, I truly hope Apple activates this in the next large firmware update, 3.2 or 4.0 perhaps? But only AFTER a jailbreak is released of course, unless EVERY thing I have from jailbreaking is present. Like virtual memory, multitaszking with backgrounder and proswitcher, city light, theme, glaskart, black chrome, iclassic and so much more, including awesome locksounds and key tones,
  8. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So far the iPhone 3.2 firmware is only going to be ran off of iPad, maybe one day it will be for iPods/iPhones too, but who knows.

I doubt there will be multitasking availible to non-jailbroken iPods/iPhones. With the iPad coming out and it not having the ability to multitask to me that's telling me Apple has NO interest in multitasking. It's basically already out there (Backgrounder). I don't see why Apple would not be interested in it, I am sure that would by far make the iPad more interesting to me.

I am waiting for Apple to release at least SOMETHING about the FM receiver, all that they would need to do is activate the chip and let 3rd parties create apps (not sure if this would cause legal issues though, that is my guess though why it's not activated).
  9. Miadhawk

Miadhawk Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Very good point, but I realize that an iPod and Iphone CANNOT multitask due to memory issues thats why I have virtual memory, cant live without my multitasking, the iPad would be a true net book competition if it had multitasking. Even flash

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well flash won't be an issue for long with the release of HTML5.