FM Transmitter for 3G iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ouchy_S, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a FM Transmitter for my new iPod, so I can play my own music instead of the crap I usually get on the radio. My question, is do I have to buy one that is listed on the apple store, or will any off my countries version of eBay(Trademe) do the job fine? Thanks in advance.
  2. Tikker

Tikker Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    depends on if you want one that plugs into the dock port, or just the headphone port

if you go headphone port, anything that has a standard headphone plug will work just fine
  3. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Dock port would have better quality wouldn't it?
  4. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Honestly, I wouldn't even consider buying an FM transmitter. Cassette Tape Adapters (or line-in audio jacks) work much better in my experience, and are much cheaper. Due to the fact that my car doesn't have a cassette tape player or line-in audio jack, I was forced to buy an FM transmitter to play my music. I bought one of the nicer models (a Belkin Tunebase) for around $80, and honestly, it sucks. Every time you pass under a traffic light, the interference is so strong that there's a loud static. It often "autoselects" stations that are being broadcasted over (as opposed to the clear ones it's looking for), and it's a pain to plug in or unplug. In fact, the design is so poor that it's actually broken the cigarette lighter in my car (which it charges through), and is about to strip out the other. On top of that, I have to turn up my car radio's volume to the max to even be able to hear it. There's a plethora of other problems with it (now the transmitter itself is completely broken because a piece of plastic chipped of when I unplugged it), but seriously, just stay away from FM transmitters. Get ANYTHING else that your car will support.
  5. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Like this guy, I also have no cassette or AUX jack in my car.

I had an FM transmitter for awhile that worked great. It broke. I bought this one to replace it, and it's fantastic. Occasionally you'll hear some static, but most of the time it's clean and most people can't tell the difference between this and my MP3 CDs. Oh yeah, and it's $20.
  6. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Thanks for that GrooveMachine, I think I might just make some CD's and put those in instead.
  7. Tikker

Tikker Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    and I've had zero issues with teh FM transmitter i've used for 4+ years
  8. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Does it plug into the Head Phone, or Dock Connector?
  9. GarnetNGold

GarnetNGold Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    FM transmitters suck, if your head unit doesn't have an aux or usb port you should change your head unit. You'll get better sound out of your speakers and no static
  10. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Some plug into the headphone jack, other plug into the dock. Ones that are specially made for iPods will plug into the dock connector.