Fm <{reciever}>?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by imranh101, Oct 7, 2009.

1. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Hey all!
    I'm sorry if there have been posts like this before, besides there may be new products out there...
    But is there an FM Receiver for IT2G?
    and some of you may be thinking, "Just use wifi and a radio app, like wunder radio, dude"
    I wish!
    I have wifi at my house, but only from 5:30 - 9:30 (My dad thinks too much wifi = too much gaming = fail at school, but that's another problem

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
    I have wifi at school, but its crappy, and i am thinking maybe an FM reciever would drain less battery than wifi?
    If im wrong with that last statement, do correct me

Thanks guys!
  2. jono400

jono400 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Same question here guys- ipod touch gen 2 , surely there are small add on fm receivers like the little fm transmitters that will give you fm radio reception on the device ??
  3. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    jono i answered my own question

We dont want to buy one because there is a huge rumor (as in there is 95% chance its true) that apple is adding fm radio app
    see, built into wifi chip of the ipod 2g and up (NOT 1g) is the bluetooth funcutionality that apple already unlocked with 3.0, and there is FM in there. Supposedly apple is developing an app that unlocks it, and they are trying to implement it into the music store.
    They want it so that if you are listeneing to radio you can see the name of the song, and if you really like the song, buy it on the spot (if wifi is availibe, if not it will tag the song to download at a later time).
    They are also implementing live pause - you can "pause" your radio, and the iPod will record the radio for up to 15 minutes so you can then "play" what you missed, or fast forward through it.
    Most likely it will be a paid app, but it will still be cheaper than a physical device. Also, it will be able to run in the background while you do other stuff, like your music library.
    lastly, it hopefully won't drain too much battery.
    Just cross your fingers we get it before christmas.
  4. jono400

jono400 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Perfect thanks for the info, to be honest I knew about the plans for Apple possibly introducing an fm radio function in the near future but from my understanding it was for the latest gen 3 models ??

but no probs thanks again for the info will keep an eye out for that, incidentaly there has got to be a market for an add on minature fm receiver just like the fm transmitter gadgets for the touch is there not ?? having looked thru ebay I certainly never came across one yet ??
  5. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Yeah, its for 2G and 3G ipod and 3G and 3GS iphone.
    I have heard of things for FM radio but I have heard they don't work or are really expensive.
  6. wmcwmc

wmcwmc Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  7. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I thought only the 3rd gens have radio capatabilities. I don't think any other idevice has the hardware requires.
  8. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Okay, let me clear things up
    As far as the rumors i've read (many, i googled this for like an hour cause I couldn't wait)
    Ipod 2 and 3G WILL have radio, and 3G may have Wireless N
    Iphone 3G and 3GS will have radio.
  9. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is an FM transmitter - transmits your iPod music to an FM station.

Griffin does make an FM receiver. It is called the Navigate. It displays the artist and song, has programmable presets, and is also an inline controller for your iPod (play, forward, back pause) as well as EQ controls. I have one but don't use it much, as I hate FM radio with all of it's commercials. I do like the inline controls and the display. A major downside is that its cord is really long, like 2 feet.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/navigate

It runs $60 on Griffin's website, but you can get it on Ebay for less than $40.