FM Radio possible with later software update??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by http, Sep 11, 2009.

1. http

http New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey!

My biggest expectation for the 3G was the FM receiver but it was the Nano who got it.

But Ifixit discovered a chip that can do wifi N, Bluetooth and Receive and transmit FM.

So do you think Apple can activate the FM Radio later by just upgrading the software? Or it will be impossible because I read somewhere it also need an antenna but I dunno if it's there or not or if it needs it??

Thanks a lot!
  2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yes, I saw this too. Expect it in the 4.0 update
  3. ilikeguitar90

ilikeguitar90 New Member

Yep I just saw that too. Very nice

Please Register or Log in to view images

Also, they said something about the internet chip being more advanced than even the 3GS's. Something about the 3G being able to run 802.11n (sorry if I got it wrong...) while the 3GS doesn't support this or something?
  4. kalpa11

kalpa11 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well they wouldn't stall till 4.0 cuz when that's out it'll only be a few months away from the 4g. and also the headphones can be used as antenna possibly
  5. vbman213

vbman213 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Even the CPU has a higher model number, which probably means it is better (slightly)
  6. kalpa11

kalpa11 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah if it gets fm radio it'll get more people to buy it
  7. macdude2

macdude2 Member

yeah, apple gave the nano camera, pedometer, radio and microphone. I was surprised the latter two did not get incorporated into the touch. I suppose you could argue that the new headphones did give you a mic, but still no radio. With the 802.11n you could use the radio. This will make people first buy the nano because of the radio, then when the firmware to upgrade to radio comes out on the touch people then buy a touch because of the unique device in the first place.
  8. kalpa11

kalpa11 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    see that's their marketing skill because since they didn't advertise the radio people notice the nano instantly and apple gets money for that then when the market for nano slows down they unlock the fm radio in the touch and wallah more customers. That's why their called geniuses but i'm starting to doubt that because of their recent *upgrade* to the ipod touch 2g
  9. The Killswitch

The Killswitch Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I just find it hilarious that Apple decides to keep these features their iPod's best kept secret, and then stop us from utilizing them. It's bluetooth all over again.
  10. kalpa11

kalpa11 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    it's their marketing strategy wether we like it or not