flyingguitar's knowledge of guitar hero (2) hacking

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by flyingguitar, Sep 2, 2008.

?

was this thread helpful

1. this thread was very helpful

50.0%
  2. this thread wasn't very useful to me but I appreciate your hard work

75.0%
  3. I already knew this

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    let's start of with the requirements

1. a slim or fat working PS2
    2. origonal guitar hero 2 disk
    3. at leats 5 GB's of harddrive space on your computer
    4. internet access (wich you probibly have if you are reading this)
    5. at leats one guitar hero controller
    6. a small and big screwdriver
    7. a blank DVD - R or DVD + R
    8. cardboard and tape (*note* this is only required for the slim PS2 not the fat one)

once you have these you can get started

first visit this website and register.

ance you are registered you will have permisson to view this page (in other words, go to that page) and install the program called ghex (aka Guitar Hero EXplorer).

now insirt your copy of guitar hero 2 into your pc. you will see 3 folders and 2 files, now copy these files to a folder your desktop. once copied to your desktop remove the disk and copy those files and folders to another folder to insure that you have backup files in case anything should happen.

no here is the fun part

I reccomend downloading your songs from here, but as long as you have an mp3 of the song that you want it should be OK

Please Register or Log in to view images

now go here to search for the song that is the same as the mp3 you have and save it to your desktop.

now open up ghex.

click the file tab in the top left corner and hover the mouse over the archive tab, than select add.

now go to where you saved the files from your guitar hero CD and go into the folder called GEN, and select the file in that folder and wait for it to load.

go to the folder called songs

pick a song I reccomend going from top to bottom (however skip the tracks "blank track", and freya, because replaceing them will cause damege to the ISO). once you selected a song open up the folder to that song and right click on the file "song name".mid and select import then select the cutsom mid file of your custom song you got from scorehero and it will tell you what deficulties the song can go on, (I strongly reccomend you record this data in a word document) and select OK and wait for it to import.

now go to the same song file and right click "song name".vgs and hit import. a window will pop up and you will have to right click in the white box and his add. now add the song that matches the mid file you imported erlier. now click on the drop down box next to the 0: and select #0 channle 0 (left), then now click on the drop down box next to the 1: and select #0 channle 1 (right). leave the other boxes alone and hit ok. after the song is imported you should be able to preview it by hilighting the song folder name and selecting play. you have a controll panal at the top that you can play around with, I won't explain it cuz its not that complicated, but you hit the play button to start the song. if the notes and music line up skip the next step, if they are off procceed to the next step.I strongly reccomend that you keep track of what songs are where (example YYZ is dream on by areosmith)

ajusting the offset

if the song and notes don't line up the reimport the "song name".vgs file the same way as before, but this time you right click the song in the white box and select properties. here you can adjust the song vulume for quite songs or adjust the offset, we are going to be adjusting the offset. this is mesured in miliseconds so if the song starts a second early select the number 1,000 if it starts a second late select -1,000. now import and preview the song, if it is still off repeat this prccess again untill it is right.

repeat this whole proccess for every song (accept auto blank, and freya)

now that you have all custom songs it's time to rename them.

first download this file and extract it.

now go to ghex and go to the file config then gen and go to the file songs.dtb and right click on it and hit extract, and put it in a safe place.

now open the progam that you downloaded erlier called GH2ne (aka Guitar Hero 2 Name Editor) and select file, then open, and open songs.dtb now select a song and change the info of it to the custom song (i.e. song name, artist ext.) and do that sor every song, once you are done hit save.

now open up ghex

go to config/gen then the songs.dtb and right click and select replace and now select the custom songs.dtb file you made in GH2ne.

changeing the text strings (optional)

open up the ghex and go to the file called ui then the file called eng then the one called gen and right click the file called locale.dtb and extract it to a safe place. now open the programe called GH2DTBEdit that should've came with GH2ne and open locale.dtb. here you can edit every text string in the game to your satisfaction (have fun), once done make sure you save it by clicking on file, then save. the open up ghex to ui/eng/gen and right click on locale.dtb and click replace and replace it with your custom file.

building custom ISO file

first download and install this

now open up imgburn and go to the mode tab and select build.

now click the icon with the folder and magnifying glass and select the GEN folder that was edited with ghex. then repete and select the folder called IOP. repete one more time and select the VIDEOS folder. now click the icon with the paper and magnifying glass and select the file SLUS_214.47. repete and select the file called SYSTEM.

go to the tab that says lable (*note* everything you do in this tab is case sensitive so be carefull)
    in the bar titled UDF type SLUS_21447 then click the icon with the green arrow next to it.
    then in the publisher bar type PLAYSTATION

now hit the icon in the lower left hand corner to build the ISO, and select a name for it and a save destination.

Burning ISO

insert your blank DVD and oped IMGburn now open the mode tab and select write. select your custom ISO with the icon that is a folder with a magnifying glass over it. select write speed: x4 and copies: 1. now click on the icon in the lower right hand corner. wait for ISO to burn it can take up to a half hour

congradulations you have made your custom disk but there is still one more step

playing disk on PS2

For fat PS2

1.) Remove all controllers, memory cards, cables and whatever else you have in

2.) Turn the PS2 upside down

3.) Remove the 8 screw covers; there should 4 plastics and 4 rubbers. * put them in a safe place

4.) With a medium size Philips head screwdriver unscrew the 8 screws, also remove the sticker on the back.

5.) GENTALY remove the top shell/cover.

6.) Be careful not to break the silver ribbon.

7.) As you can see in the other picture there is a big plastic part with a yellow warning label there are also 4 screws in the plastic cover, with a small Philips head screwdriver remove the screws.*also put in a safe place

8.) Once the cover is removed you will notice there is a small plastic magnet piece on the back of the cover, take it out very carefully without damaging it.

9.) Place the original Guitar hero 2 disk on the try and put the magnet piece over it so it spins

10.) Turn the PS2 on like you normally would.

11.) You will notice a red dot on the disk, this is the laser reading the disk.

12.) Keep an eye on this dot.

13.) After the PS2 logo comes up the red dot will go halfway up the of the disk and back to the center 2 times on the 3rd time it will go all the way to the edge of the disk and back to the center. As soon as it hits the center quickly pull off the magnet and the disk and put on the custom one.

14.) As soon as the red octane sign comes up you know you did it right.

15.) Enjoy

!!!!!!!

for slim PS2

look here

sorry for th crappy quality but it gets to the point and my finges hurt.

HAVE FUN PLAYING YOUR MODDED GUITAR HERO 2!!

please no flaming.
  2. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

Wow, nice write up.

Can you do this with Guitar Hero 2 on a PS3?
  3. flyingguitar

Device:
    iPhone 6
    yes but it's much harder
  4. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

Its really hard cause you need to open the PS3 right?

So...should I take my PS3 to some guy so he can hack it?
  5. flyingguitar

Device:
    iPhone 6
    these are the steps

Step 1 = Insert Original Game
    Step 2 = Eject PS3HDD
    Step 3 = Press Play (Game will freeze)
    Step 4 = Swap Original for Backup
    Step 5 = Insert PS3 HDD again

not as hard as i thought here is a vid