Review Fluttr

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by spoonforknife, Dec 23, 2009.

1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Fluttr is one of the supposed trinity of upcoming Twitter applications: Twiba, Chalk, and Fluttr. However, Fluttr is unique in the fact that it was made by 3 twitter addicts under 17, the oldest being 16, and the lead programmer being a mere 13 years of age. But this is no NailDodger. This is a full fledged, Twitter application, complete with the newest of Twitter features, like Lists and API Retweets. Fluttr was created by IntelligentMonkey, who is Tan E-Liang, John Costa, and Branden Flasch. Graphics were done by Ammaar Reshi (who you may recall from NailDodger), Richard B (misecia), and Josh (appsanity). I have also received word that main menu items were drawn by they were done by Manolo Savi.

Fluttr is quite feature-rich. With customizable wallpapers, daily and weekly trends, multiple accounts, and lists, Fluttr has most everything you can ask from a Twitter client (feature wise.) While lists don't have the ability to be edited like in Tweetie, they can be viewed just fine.

The interesting and most unique thing about Fluttr is its menu system. Rather than opting for a traditional tab bar interface, Fluttr presents a main menu complete with the following options: Timeline, Mentions, Messages, Favorites, Compose, and Lists. From here, you can access most everything you want to. At the bottom of the menu is a custom UI element which is actually quite cool: the shelf. The shelf pops up from the bottom much like an action sheet, with options to go to a username, search, view trends, and add an account. The 'Add an Account' view also changes Settings. I do wish that you could go straight to your own account from the shelf, but this can also be done by tapping the blue arrow next to your account name on the Accounts view.

From the dashingly stylish accounts view, you can check following and followers lists, updates, lists, replies, send replies, and send direct messages. Upon tapping the 'info' button in the top right corner of the navigation bar allows you to follow a user, see their description, and website. There is a minor issue in that the user can supposedly not follow themselves in this view.

Tweeting in Fluttr is also more of a joy than I expected, with the ability to play the currently playing song, turn off autocorrection, shorten URLs, and upload images. It then finishes off with a very slick animation, much like that of Icy. There are a few pitfalls though. The currently playing song button is not removed from the UI when nothing is playing, and drafts are not saved.

Please Register or Log in to view images

It may just be my internet connection and iPod, but it seems as if everything is a bit slow on Fluttr. There seems to be considerable lag when switching from view to view and in loading tweets. However, this might just be me, so don't rely on this 'slow' verdict on whether or not you purchase this.

Graphically, Fluttr is a complete mess. With three different creators arguing for creative control over three (or four) designers, I can see how this got as convoluted as it did. Despite the involvement of acclaimed graphic designer misecia, Fluttr is inconsistent, and at times, downright ugly. This is likely attributed to the usage of two very amateur graphic designers after the departure of misecia, as he reportedly could not stand working with the boys from IntelligentMonkey anymore. 5 of the 7 built in wallpapers, which turned out to all be by appsanity, are vomit inducing. For something that appears in every view, you'd think that it would look relatively attractive. In addition, the main menu's button system is jagged and uses very juvenile glyphs. There were several instances in which Marker Felt was used as a font, whereas the rest of the application uses Helvetica. While most of the application uses custom user interface items, the tweet feed uses standard fugly white UIButtons for the Refresh and Load More Buttons. The status bar is semi-transparent, which reveals the wallpaper as only going halfway through the distances of the status bar, showing an unsightly black gap. The Default.png also shows the default wallpaper on the main menu. If you've changed your wallpaper, this does not look good. I also don't like the 'Chat Bubble' look, but that's just a personal preference.

This is not to say that Fluttr is deathly ugly. Most of misecia's input was fantastic, from the main UI elements, to some of the glyphs, to the tweet view list, everything is meticulously drawn to a perfection. It looks like he knew where he wanted this application to go, before it was steered in the wrong direction (away from him.) Ammaar Reshi provided a clean and relaxing light wood wallpaper, which is another graphically bright spot. I might even say that Fluttr is refreshingly clean at times.

At $3.99, Fluttr should be better than Tweetie, winner of an Apple Design Award with worldwide acclaim and usage. It doesn't come close. While this is probably the actual value of the application, the driving down of App Store prices has made it seem as if Fluttr's price is wholly out of proportion. It's my opinion that it is not, but that you could get a much better client for a dollar less. That said, it couldn't hurt to try Fluttr. These guys tried very, very hard. The vast majority of Fluttr was coded by Tan E-Liang with the other John and Branden doing small bits of coding, graphics, and customer service. This is an incredible feat to build a full fledged Twitter client at such a ripe young age, and I absolutely respect them for that. However, this great accomplishment does not outshine its remarkable flaws in usage and graphic design, which sadly bring this becoming client down.

I want to love Fluttr, as I've been suggesting things to these guys from the (almost) very beginning of their development cycle, when they had a slide to tweet mechanism in place. But I can't. My obsessive need for an orgasmic graphical experience and a sensible user interface has plunged my attempted love for Fluttr to the nether regions. Try it. It won't be the worst Twitter client you can get, and it's certainly no ChillTwit, but it's no Twitterrific or Tweetie either.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Features: 5/5. Fluttr is full of features.
    GUI: 1.5/5. While mostly graphically messy and inconsistent, Fluttr has some remarkably beautiful and unique views as well.
    Reuse Value: 3/5. It all depends on how much you love Twitter. I love Twitter.
    Value for Money: 2.5/5. While probably a good measure of how much it is really worth, Tweetie is a dollar less.

Overall: 3/5. Fair.
  2. raprap30

raprap30 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay. So here's my little review of Fluttr. I'm a friend of Tan E-Liang, so I might be biased

Fluttr probably has one of the best the best interface that was ever created in any iPhone application. It is easy to use, insanely fast, and most of all fun to use! I especially love the "homescreen" Fluttr has. It not only looks good, it also contributes to the user experience; even though it does not make your workflow any faster. The tweet posting animations are cool, or should I say - Flawless. @taneliang spent sleepless nights on this, and it sure paid off! A few reasons that you guys do not deserve the 5 stars are that: Some serious bugs,no multi picture upload and the DM bubbles are facing the wrong side. If not, this app would deserve a full 5 stars! I would stilll like the slide to tweet thingy though.

(First review!

)

UI - 5/5
    Features 4/5
    Reuse Value : 5/5
    Value for Money: Dont care cos I got it for free.
  3. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    LMFAO. You've got to be kidding me.

"Fluttr probably has one of the best the best interface that was ever created in any iPhone application." - Haha you made a funny.
  4. raprap30

raprap30 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Seriously, it was quite fun to use, and even Twitteriffic loses out to it on flashiness.

Okay, maybe not any iPhone application, but at least an iPhone twitter client. It is unique, and nice, in its own unique way.
  5. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The graphics are completely inconsistent. A graphics designer would have a heart attack.

Miscea is great designer.. this app would have been a lot better with him.

EDIT: And no Twitterific doesn't lose out on it's flashiness to them. The Icon Factory are AMAZING designers. Tweetie's graphics are better than Fluttr's.

The app has great features and the UI is very creative. The problem is they used amateur designers to create the graphics for the UI.
  6. raprap30

raprap30 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Check out @FluttrApp's new tweet:

COMMUNITY QUESTION: Ok, so there has been a lot of talk about the UI of Fluttr and people are saying that it's beautiful at times and downright ugly at others, so we have a question for you. Should we continue with the current UI and make improvements, or go with a new one pictured here: http://yfrog.com/4e4x0p http://yfrog.com/33ryjp http://yfrog.com/6mjfzp http://yfrog.com/37c92p http://yfrog.com/33fetp We're trying to build the best mobile Twitter app ever and we thank you for your support, because without you, we wouldn't be here.

@misecia is trying to make Fluttr into another Twitellator, another ovekilled twitter client, no longer a unique twitter client. I agree that it is inconsistent, and @taneliang told me that the new interface sucked. (he showed me the new interface like a month ago.) and he liked the old one.

EDIT: Misecia rocks tho.

EDIT: Chicken, I agree on the "
    The app has great features and the UI is very creative. The problem is they used amateur designers to create the graphics for the UI.". Could look a little more professional, but not to a twittelator or tweetie (boring) extent.
  7. berky93

berky93 New Member

that new design they're working on looks better, except for the fact that the blue bars on the top and bottom still have the classic Apple "glossy" design. They should make them look more matte. And maybe add some texture to them. (I dont mean texture like a crumpled paper or leopard print. I mean like maybe two rows of small rivet-esque holes on the sides or something to break up the blank areas)
  8. Duykur

Duykur Banned

My review of fluttr: "Nice try?"
  9. Just_For_Now

Just_For_Now Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The tweeting process animation is like the installation process in icy. Thats pretty cool.
  10. raprap30

raprap30 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I suggest that they stick to the bubbles.