Review Flower Garden - Grow Flowers And Send Bouquets

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Radish, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Price: $2.99

Version: 1.4

Developer: Snappy Touch

iTunes Link: Flower Garden

[What is Flower Garden?]

Flower Garden is a game where, as the name suggests, you tend to a flower garden. Created by Noel Llopis with the belief "that games don’t have to rely on violence, and can instead encourage creativity and sharing." He has done a great job on creating a delightful game, from something that, honestly, I didn't think could be entertaining before playing Flower Garden.

[Gameplay/Controls]

Flower Garden is not quite a game, but more of a simulation. The basic premise is to water buried seeds in a flower pot, until it blossoms. See the screenshot below for the full in-game tutorial.

Full in-game tutorial

Seems pretty easy right? Wrong. The earlier seeds you acquire are easy to take care of, with no risk of them drying out or being over-watered. When flowers have not been watered enough, they will visually wilt and turn a realistic tinge of yellow. Thankfully, they won't die.

Green is Good

On top of that, most seeds take hours (some take days, gah) in real life to grow, don't worry, you can still watch them grow; they only sprout after watering.

It looks much smoother in-game

After sending many bouquets, cutting flowers and growing flowers, you are able to unlock more and more seeds. Unlockable flowers are more difficult to take care of, usually they require you to water them before sleeping and watering right when you wake up. The time span between almost over-watering and drying out is very short.

There are also Bonus seeds, which need a special code to unlock. Currently, the official place to find the codes are on the Flower Garden Facebook Page.

Video Tutorial

[Presentation/Graphics]

The graphics in Flower Garden are top-notch. They are 3D, you can rotate a flower pot and see flowers from every angle. Clouds in the background are dynamic.

There's a minor glitch that's obvious at times though. It's the lack of collision control between petals. Not a huge thing, but it makes it difficult to send a large bouquet.

Looks a bit messy

Comparison between real life Mountain Daisy and Flower Garden's.

As you can see from the picture, Flower Garden's flora are a bit different from real life, especially some of the other flowers (or perhaps there are many deviations, as I had difficulty finding pictures for the other flowers).

As for the result of sending a bouquet, this is it: a direct snapshot of the bouquet.

Screenshot from Google Mail

A feature I didn't anticipate from this game was incorporating the accelerometer. Flowers sway according to how the iDevice is held. They also move away from your finger if you touch the screen.

Dew Crystals reacting to the accelerometer

[Extra Info]

[Audio]

Audio in Flower Garden is sparse. Sure, watering flowers has a rain sound, and growing flowers has a... I can't quite describe it, sounds a little like fairy dust. Background noise consists of what I assume are bird calls, and what sounds similar to a woodpecker.

I will abstain from rating Flower Garden's audio due to lack of sounds.

[Replay Value]

Over the course of almost a week of playing this game, I was hit with sudden panics and one thought was screaming in my mind: "AHHH! I FORGOT TO WATER MY FLOWERS!" I am not exaggerating about this, several times I've had that sense of urgency.

It's slightly addictive because of the fear of flowers drying out, and it only takes around a minute or two every few hours to keep your flowers alive and growing.

[Final Thoughts]

Flower Garden has surprised me with its ingenuity in making a game about growing flowers fun. I don't know about you, but I don't like working in my backyard, planting seeds and tending to flora. I suppose taking the hard work out of it turns something seen as boring into something entertaining. It could however, do with more features. As it is, it's slim in the features department.

Also, the ability to send your lovingly grown flowers as bouquets is, in my opinion, one of the biggest reasons to play this game.

I wouldn't exactly recommend Flower Garden for everyone as it has a deficiency in the explosions department. That being said, this is a decent game to waste a few minutes per day.

[Ratings]

Gameplay/Controls: 7/10 - No difficulty with controls, simple gameplay, could use more features

Presentation/Graphics: 8/10 - Good 3D graphics, large bouquets glitch

Audio: N/A

Replay Value: 8/10 - Short watering time makes for playing a few minutes per day viable

Value for the Money: 8/10 - Definitely one of the better flower growing applications out there, especially in the graphics department. Decent price compared to similar apps.

Overall: 7.8/10 - "Good". Most people won't find this type of game appealing, but for those who do, Flower Garden is a top choice.​

[Additional Image]

Attached Files:

• FG.png
      FG.png
      File size:
      7.7 KB
      Views:
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Woo. Wonderful review. Lots of interesting details about the game. Nice.
  3. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

You picked the perfect game that would be perfect for me to review. lmao. Nice review, "Over the course of almost a week of playing this game, I was hit with sudden panics and one thought was screaming in my mind: "AHHH! I FORGOT TO WATER MY FLOWERS!" "

rofl.
  4. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    When u send the bouquet through email, what does it look like from the opposite party? Is an image of exactly what u just sent?
  5. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Arikado, there's a screenshot of it up there, but yes it looks like bouquet menu.
  6. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    lol... a pretty app.