Flow FTP Client 1.0 Review

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by pickleman77, May 25, 2008.

1. pickleman77

pickleman77 Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Please Register or Log in to view images

In the world of FTP clients for mac, there was one dominant application - Cyberduck. It looks like its finally got a competitor to give it a run for its money.

When you first open Flow, you are immediately greeted with a very friendly, self-explanatory interface. Unlike Cyberduck, where there is no obvious first step to take, this app gives it to you from the get-go. What I find really great about Flow is that everything stays in one window, without any pop-up windows that you constantly find in its competitor.

All you have to do is enter the IP of your iPhone (or iPod Touch in my case), the username and password, which you probably should know by now is "root" and "alpine," select the SFTP option, and then "Connect," and you're off.

You'll immediately be greeted with your home directory. This part is pretty much exactly like Cyberduck, but with a few differences. First of all, in Flow, you never really have to right click. There are buttons with everything you need at the top, which is very helpful. If you want a new folder, the button is there. Want to move a file? There's a button at the top. Want to delete something? You guessed it, there's a button at the top. This provides a very sleek, clean interface that Cyberduck lacks.

Now, for the transfers. This is the part which, in my opinion, beats its competitor by a long shot. You'll notice that in Cyberduck, there is a window that pops up whenever you download or upload something to your iPhone/iPod Touch. I don't know if I'm the only one who loses this window when I change spaces, but this had really gotten on my nerves for a long time. I was overjoyed to see a "Transfers" tab on the side.

Now for the down-sides. There are really only a couple of things that have gotten on my nerves in Flow. First of all, you cannot drag a file into a shortcut folder. You have to find it yourself. THis means you can't go to the "/" directory and drag apps into the Application shortcut, if you moved them like me. You have to find these folders yourself, which can really be a hassle. Luckily, at the bottom, there is a bar which tracks where the directory is, similar to the finder in Leopard. Another thing that bugs me, which may or may not happen to anyone else, is that the app will sometimes freeze when you try to cancel an upload or download, which may just be on my computer- I have no idea. Other than these two things, I couldn't really find anything else wrong with it. Now, on to the overall grades.

Presentation: This app has probably the best presentation of any FTP client I have ever seen on Mac or Windows, hands-down.
    Usability: Aside from a few minor setbacks, the interface stands up very well to the competition. Did I forget to tell you that it automatically sets permissions as 755? Nice!
    Interface: Really easy to use, but with lots of options. Destroys CyeberDuck here.

Aside from a few minor details, Flow is now my FTP client of choice. It completely kills the competition in just about every aspect. The only place it loses, though, is price. Cyberduck is free. Flow will run you a good $30. Still, it's definitely the best I've seen around. Do you agree? Let me know!

2. Bernstein229

Bernstein229 New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Seeing the photos I still like Cyberduck. First its free, Second its a smoother interface in my opinion.