Flash without Flash

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zc456, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Zc456

Zc456 Member

..Or whatever it is. Anywayz, while broswing through the comments of Apple Insider someone posted a link of a new, open source, alternative to running Flash videos without Flash. As a Flash developer (Ho shi-!), I'm going to be doing a lot of testing.

The javascript runtime is called Gorgon and its completely open source, available at GitHub. I've tested it out on my iPod Touch and... it worked. To my surprise. And, yes, it does lag on the iPhone OS at times. Demo, iPhone Screenshot, ect....
  2. iMan

iMan New Member

Device:
    iPad
    What do you have to do to get it on the iPad or touch? Has someone made it into an app yet or can that be done?
  3. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Nothing, believe it or not, its all ran independently. Just upload the files, copy and paste the codes needed to make it work, and it runs.
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I'm confused. Do you mind posting something more detailed? Sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b in this

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. iMan

iMan New Member

Device:
    iPad
    When you say upload do you mean to the file structure? Like where you put .xls files using a file transfer app or saving an email attachment to?
  6. Zc456

Zc456 Member

I'll try my best. It runs SWF files without any plugins. It uses SVG to render vector based graphics. "Furthermore, it gives you full access and control of the resources, characters and timeline behaviours in your movie via JavaScript or DOM scripting."

Actually that was my fault. You need to upload the javascript and the whatever swf file.
  7. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Yeah this has been out since 2008 and it uses Java to render flash, but only simple flash images, not full flash videos or games.
  8. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Using an interpreted language to run another interpreted language. Not an optimal solution to say the least. This has already been posted once or twice btw.
  9. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Oh, wasn't aware of that. I just thought it was an interesting find.