Flash Cards for iStudy

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by slyn4ice, Nov 14, 2007.

1. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    New Flash Cards for iStudy

I am learning japanese right now so I thought I could use the iStudy application to help me out. I made a collection of flash cards out of the edict dictionary. Currently it contains 4 categories: 499 random words from edict; 499 random verbs (transitive or intransitive, without -suru verbs) from edict; 499 random nouns from edict; 499 random adjectives from edict.

The file is here:
    http://home.dankov.org/iflashcards/japanese_flashcards.tar.gz

After you grab the file, put it in the /var/root/Library/iFlashCards/ directory and extract it. It will create 4 new directories with the necessary flashcards inside.

Let me know if something is broken.

Cheerz
  2. m26k9

m26k9 New Member

Awesome...
    Thanks man.. but I'm using iFlashcards.. will try to get this work on that...
  3. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think it is essentially the same app... just the name changed (and apparently some new features were added) in the last build. In fact it should appear as an update in your installer... at least it did with mine.
  4. daelight

daelight New Member

benri

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thank you this is very useful ... do you have any other Japanese-learning aids (like dictionary) that we can put on the Touch?

Many thanks
  5. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey there, as far as dictionary goes - install weDict from installer app and read on this thread:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6449

good luck
  6. osarusan

osarusan New Member

Thanks! I live in Japan, and this is actually the reason I bought my touch. ;-)
  7. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Same here- i love what u can do with this thing

i am planning to try and contribute to iStudy -there are a few things i would like to see implemented - but i dont know if i am going to have the time. Till then i will try to enrich whatever learning apps are out there with more resources for japanese (i know only of wedict and iStudy).
  8. vstro24

vstro24 New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    how do u make the flash cards? i need to make some for italian class.
  9. slyn4ice

slyn4ice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It is very simple - go to the directory where the flashcards reside (/var/root/Library/iFlashCards/) and create a new directory (name it whatever you want). Inside it create 2 files - answers.txt and questions.txt. Each new line in those files equals a flash card entry. Of course both files have to have the same number of lines. Give it a try. If you have a large open source dictionary in Italian that you can parse - that would be great

10. osarusan

osarusan New Member

Wow, cool, I just tried the 499 cards you made. I think I might try to make up some flashcards too. Yours will prove extremely useful, I know! Thanks a billion.

So, why 499? Is that a limit to the number you can have? And any method to how you chose them? I think if I can get around to it, I will try to make a few sets based on the JLPT levels... should make studying a bit easier I think.