FLAC support

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by iMatt711, Oct 19, 2007.

1. iMatt711

iMatt711 New Member

while I do realize FLAC files are large and therefore few albums could fit on one touch, I think adding support for FLAC would be a great step forward.
  2. taikmata

taikmata New Member

use apple lossless
  3. samhain959

samhain959 New Member

I'd like Ogg Vorbis support. But I don't think that's ever happening.
  4. ramcosca

ramcosca New Member

This is all in the hands of Apple. It qould be quite difficult to mod the iPod to take FLAC or Ogg Vorbis without changing the Operating System itself, I think.
  5. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No, you wouldn't have to change the operating system itself, but yeah, it would require some complex processes. It would be very nice if FLAC was supported as well as divx.

The operating system on the Touch is in fact Mac OSX, so it should be doable. Perhaps that will be something that a 3rd party developer will make once Apple's SDK is released. It would be awesome to be able to have movies that are in a dvd-like format where you can have a menu system, ah, the possibilities are endless.
  6. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

Since flac isn't really a widely used thing yet, I don't think Apple will support flac anytime soon, especially when they are trying to make you use Apple Loseless instead. Either way, this problem should be solved if ever people find ways to add codecs / create codecs for the iPod
  7. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah, I would so love codecs. This is technically a problem that has been around for some time. The standard for all devices right now is the MP4 format used on iPods, PSP, etc. There are some devices that can play WMV though, however, I don't think Apple will have any luck getting Microsoft to make something for them. If the iPod were able to play WMVs.... that basically spells doom right there for the Zune and cripple its already cripped sales.

FLAC on the other hand may be possible, but FLAC is true lossless. Apple Lossless is not really 'real' lossless as much as they push it. It is essentially just high quality MP4 files.
  8. ramcosca

ramcosca New Member

Makes sense, yes. There's a videocodecs folders somewhere on the iPod. Maybe someone smarter than me when talking about codecs that can decipher how the iPod works with certain formats and try to make the touch read them.

AAC wasn't widely used (even used?) until Apple decided to launch the then-called-iTunes Music Store as AAC-exclusive...

Since I first read about ALAC, I've been intrigued by it. It's a Lossless audio format that takes up smaller space than other lossless codecs.