Fixable, dead or half-dead battery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Black Bear, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Black Bear

Black Bear New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello everyone.

I have a problem with battery on my ipod touch with f/w 2.2.1.
    When i am recharging it i have a big battery icon with just a little bit of red on the left side and a charging icon (bolt) on small battery logo in top right corner. It charges it for a while and then that smal icon in top right corner changes to small plug over battery and that is it, then it stops charging and big battery logo never changes or turns green. I assume it stops charging because it doesn't matter how long it stays like that the big battery icon never turns green.
    Ipod works after that for about 3-4 hours of music playing and that is it. None of the applications do not work, they come up for a couple of seconds and then they close.
    Somebody gave me this ipod and I did not have one before so I am not so sure how battery should behave but I guess this is kinda wrong.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Now, my questions are - is battery dead or is it a software glitch? I guess if battery is near its life it should go green but it wouldn't last long, am I wrong? Or they just sit in that red area and charge a little as my does? I kinda hope it is software and connection between battery not charging fully and applications not working.

What should/ can i do to fix this issue?
    I do not have a comp here where i am on which i can install itunes and my friend were trying to connect thru their itunes but they told me they cannot download nothing from my ipod (I wanted to save music and movies before i potentialy restore it and loose everything).

Thanks for help.
  2. $4/\/\8414¥|\|3

$4/\/\8414¥|\|3 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well i would do a restore before you decide its the hardware just to be sure. And when you do update to at least 3.1.2 geez!
  3. Black Bear

Black Bear New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks.
    And since I am TOTALLY new with this, how do i do restore exactly, thru itunes? Do i have to buy this update or it is free?
  4. Deathgod9307

Deathgod9307 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    im having this issue too..
    its your usb cable cause whenever i used an external wall charger, it can charge till its full..
  5. Black Bear

Black Bear New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I do not think it is USB cable. It is the same with USB cable, wall charger or docking station.
  6. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Hey Black Bear, welcome to the iPTF!

For the restore, it can be done via iTunes actually. And there's no update for this, its a standard feature that can be found in any version of iTunes. Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Please Register or Log in to view images