[FIX] Vista users getting BSOD

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Ryan, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    People getting BSOD from using libusb. Here is a quick fix.

I noticed while i was in bed last night that my wifi dongle was still flashing. Even though the computer was off. This told me that some power was still going to it. And therefore it was not shut down properly.

Next time i went to turn my computer off i unpluged my usb dongle and shut down. No BSOD. It seems there is a problem caused by libusb that prevents the shutdown of usb devices and therefore makes windows panic (causing BSOD).

There is a program called devcon which is made by microsoft. It is basicly a command line version of "device manager" with all the same things. I.e You can use the command line to disable or remove a usb device. Without having to unplug it yourself. (Found this when trying to find a way to unplug and replug the ipod for redsn0w patch)

DevCon can be downloaded from here...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd10-272d-4cd2-896f-9ce67f3e0240/devcon.exe

You can then make a simple batch file which calls devcon and turns off your usb devices. Simply run this before you go to shutdown.

Something like this..

and thats it. Open notepad, copy that in, save as shutusb.bat and have it in the same folder as devcon.

#hardwareID# can be found by using the normal device manager (type device manager into the search bar) then finding the usb device that is causing you problems. Right clicking on it. Click properties. Then go to details. On the drop down list select "Hardware ID's" then copy the top line. Which will look something like USB\VID_1385&PID_4251&REV_0001

therefore my batch file will look something like
    Code:
    @echo off

devcon disable "USB\VID_1385&PID_4251&REV_0001"

Include the speach marks.

Hope this helps a few people

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Arbiter

Arbiter New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks a lot for your fix.
    Just a quick question, how do you figure out which usb device is causing the problem?
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    well.. there shouldnt be THAT many usb devices attatched to your pc. You can always shut them all down before your turn it off.
  4. alexak93

alexak93 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    thanks man this really helps
  5. Dante38490

Dante38490 New Member

its not work its says

USB\VID_054C&PID_0268\5&218AA28A&0&5 : Disable failed
    No devices disabled.