[Fix] "Stuck in recovery mode"

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by Murder, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Murder

Murder New Member

Hey, i just thought i should post this because.. ive seen alot of people (as myself) getting their iPod Touch firmare 1.1.3 stuck in recovery mode, and unable to restore.
    This is a fairly very easy way to reboot it (without restoring)

NOTE: i belive way is for windows only

1. First off go download iBrickr http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr
    (there should be a little video there, the download link is right under that)

2. Extract iBrickr into a folder u must make.

3. Run ibrickr.exe (make sure you have 1.1.3 AND that your ipod is STUCK in recovery mode, also make sure ur ipod is CONNECTED to the computer). Then it should say something like it recognizes your ipod in recovery mode click here to reboot it. So click there, your screen should turn a different color (red = good, green = bad). If it turns red your in luck, wait a few seconds and there you go your ipod will be back to the screen "slide to unlock", and not 1 thing on your ipod should be gone.

Good luck

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------

If your iPod is stuck in recovery mode with the spinning wheel screen, OR when you connect your iPod to your computer and it beeps every couple of seconds. (thanks for this upd)

The only way out of this is:
    1) Make sure iPod is disconnected from computer
    2) Power down iPod all the way by beginning a Force Restore procedure: Press and hold Home+Power buttons until the iPod turns off, then immediately release the buttons before it can turn back on.
    3) From powered down, press and hold home button.
    4) Still holding, connect the iPod to the computer
    5) When recovery screen appears again, release the home button. The spinning wheel will be gone.
  2. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Or...

1. Open either your 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 jailbreak folder and run iPhuc.

2. It will recognize as Recovery

3. Type in
    Your iPod should start up in a minute or so, if not try again.
  3. Murder

Murder New Member

That is for mac users only though.
  4. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Ahahahaha! Nope...

I'm on windows... and I've done it tons of times...
  5. Murder

Murder New Member

eh.. i just looked in my 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 folders.. i see no sign of iphuc.
  6. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Well... I guess you got the wrong ones then...

You can download it too off of a googlecode page.
  7. orkus

orkus New Member

Mac Users may use iNdependance: Just start the app with the iPod connected and the iPod will automatically reboot.
    My (1.1.3 jB) iPod suddenly stopped working yesterday. I pressed and held the power button to hard-switch it off and then it didn't boot anymore but entered the recovery mode.
    iNdependance saved me from doing the whole recovery and jailbreak again!
  8. darc10222

darc10222 Banned

If you have the Jailbreak 1.1.2 folder required for iPTM's tutorial for jailbreaking 1.1.2 just click the windows.bat or the jailbreak file for macs and click Boot from Recovery.
  9. rogueosb

rogueosb New Member

I was having the same problem (jailbroken 1.1.3 ipod automatically went into restore mode on every shutdown and hard reboot), and although the iPhuc method works to get it out of restore mode, it always goes back upon a reboot. I was looking through the jailbreak files, and i found a file called "com.devteam.rm" that, if im correct, deletes one of the installation files (/private/var/disk0s1.dd) and then itself. once i had gotten the ipod out of recovery mode, i used WinSCP to get into the ipod, and deleted the file com.devteam.rm which was in the folder /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ . After doing this, i rebooted the ipod, it went into recovery mode again (might not happen for others), so i used these commands in iphuc (same commands to boot out of recovery for those who dont know):
    Code:
    cmd setenv auto-boot true
    cmd saveenv
    cmd fsboot
    after a few seconds it went out of recovery mode, and i had a fully functional jailbroken 1.1.3 ipod (from 1.1.2JB). I tried shutting it down, hard reboot, and every time the ipod booted normally, without going into recovery mode. I cannot guarantee that this doesnt break something, but from what i found inside the com.devteam.rm file, i think its safe to remove. please let me know if this worked for you

Please Register or Log in to view images

here's the download link to iphuc (for windows): http://iphone-elite.googlecode.com/files/iPhuc%20Windows.rar
  10. anup2104

anup2104 New Member

ok thanks to all above but i have a problem...i have done the fsboot thing and it loads up again. however when i restart it goes straight back into recovery mode..any ideas??

EDIT:

ok ive got it working. For those of you who may have had the same prob and the above didnt work, this is what i did:

Firstly i followed the above post to delete the devteam file, but the iPhuc didnt fix the problem when i restarted, it only sorted it out untill i restarted, when it would go back into recovery mode. i then did this:

Windows:
    - Download iBrickr and extract it somewhere.
    - Open a command line and cd to the folder you extracted iBrickr to.
    - Run iphoneinterface from the command line.
    - You should see an r_recovery prompt.
    - Type "setenv auto-boot true" and hit enter.
    - Type "saveenv" and hit enter.
    - Type "fsboot" and hit enter.
    - Your phone will boot properly.

and all seems to work fine now.
    (credit to nate true, on his web blog)

hope this helps!