[FIX] Stuck at Apple Boot Logo with Constant Reboot

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by CorranQ, Sep 26, 2008.

1. CorranQ

CorranQ New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    This thread is a compilation and update of the following two threads linked below and is applicable to the version 2.1 firmware on the iPhone and iPod Touch 1G. This post does not include all of the aforementioned methods from previous threads, only the ones that have resulted in the more often achieved success. Additionally, as of version 2.2.X I have no longer been able to make these methods work with any reliable success though notably I've not had to resort to these for the most part anyway:

DUMMIES GUIDE: How To Fix An iPhod Stuck On Boot Logo W/O Restoring by The Joker

&

Kill Watchdog Process by P0150N0U5F15)-(

METHOD 1:

Developed by The Joker and those that posted in his thread, this can be done via WiFi or through using iPhone Browser (for Windows users only), or DiskAid (for Mac users)

Steps:

1. Turn iPod or iPhone off
    2. Connect cable
    3. Turn on iPod/iPhone
    4. Listen for the connection sound
    5. Attempt to SSH into your iPod/iPhone (may take several tries on WiFi and will depend on if it was activated before the boot logo issue began - otherwise use the iPhone Browser)
    6. Go to /var/mobile/
    7. Rename Applications to Applications2
    8. Wait until your springboard pops up
    9. Now rename Applications back and restart
    10. Some apps may seem to be missing, but they're there. Just resync and check that the Applications Tab in iTunes has your apps all selected for upload - it will bring them back up on the Springboard after 'seemingly' reinstalling them.

PROBLEM: This method usually generates several extra megabytes of data. I haven't been able to figure out where, why, or how, but if you're like me and you've filled your iPod/iPhone to its memory's brim, this would be annoying. If you have the time and patience to, use METHOD 2.

METHOD 2:

This method was developed on the Hackint0sh forums, shown on these forums by P0150N0U5F15)-(, demonstrated on TUAW, and finally played with and modified by me some weeks ago to combine METHOD 1 with killing the watchdog process:

1. Turn iPod or iPhone off
    2. Connect cable
    3. Turn on iPod/iPhone
    4. Listen for the connection sound
    5. Attempt to SSH into your iPod/iPhone (may take several tries on WiFi and will depend on if it was activated before the boot logo issue began - otherwise use the iPhone Browser)
    6. Go to /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/
    7. Rename mobilewatchdog.bundle to mobilewatchdog.bundle2
    8. Reboot your iPhone/iPod and wait until the Springboard shows (may take several minutes, and one reboot on its own power, just leave it alone, this method has not failed me)
    9. Once at Springboard again, rename mobilewatchdog.bundle2 back to mobilewatchdog.bundle and reboot (otherwise it will restart on its own).
    10. No apps will be missing, no additional memory will be lost in this method, all should return to normal.

Credits: To all those already mentioned and to the unsung heroes that invested time and energy into stopping us from restoring our iPhods from scratch!
  2. skiier239

skiier239 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  3. Numb

Numb Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    wow sick.
  4. bkram1

bkram1 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Method 2 is WAY better, don't even bother trying method 1.
  5. CorranQ

CorranQ New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Happy to help! If anyone has feedback I'll keep updating the first post to reflect it!
  6. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thanks for this. ill try it next time

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    what's ahappening???

it still won work, my ipod touch will just reboot, then my ocmputer will recognise it, but then it will continue to reboot, and reboot and reboot!

someone help me please

8. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    wow this thread makes me feel like an idiot
    started restoring my ipod about five minutes ago and now i found this
    damn
  9. JayTraceur

JayTraceur New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    lol nice tutorial
  10. Supertod

Supertod Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Help please, I went straight onto method 1 without seeing method 2 (Kicks self) it worked, but now all my appstore apps have dissapeared, tryed resyncing, If I just delete everything in the applications folder, then sync again will they appear again, and will I keep the data from those apps? (game saves etc...) Thanks