First time programming

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by idk761, Aug 12, 2009.

1. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have searched and got some valid information, but I still need more.
    First off, I have a macbook pro, downloaded the SDK kit(have not yet paid $99, I will when I get a understanding of objective C).

I have watched most of the apple developing tutorials, but I can't grasp any of them, but I think it is because I have no programming expereince at all I am guessing.
    My question is where do you begin? Do you start reading a book on Objective C, or do you start with C++ then continue on,etc...I have http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-Developers-Library-Stephen/dp/0672325861 looked into that book, I might buy it if it I am given the ok.

I have taken 2 weeks off from work to learn this stuff, I had lots of days to use so not really any lost. I am willing to spend $50 on books, and the $99 to get my app on the app store and to test out the app on my ipod touch.

I don't want to do any user created tutorial for making the app, because basically you are just copying and pasting, so don't offer any of those tutorials.

I just need to make myself a guideline and a list on what to learn first all the way to the end.
    I was planning on making 2d games and maybe put some humor writing I made into the app store.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The book in your post is great; It's what I used to learn Objective-C. It assumes no prior programming experience. However, get the latest version of the book. That particular version you posted is outdated. The key is not to get ahead of yourself. Don't try to learn everything in two weeks' time. It probably won't happen. Be patient, and don't move on until you fully understand concepts.

Knowing C or C++ certainly does help, but it's not necessary - you just may take more time to develop certain thought processes and mental disciplines of programming.

Good Luck!
  3. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

You're not going to learn to make iPhone applications in two weeks if you have no prior programming experience.

Objective-C is a superset of the C language. Learning C++ (aside from the commonalities) would be irrelevant.

If you do insist no jumping into iPhone programming, then (although you said you don't want to do this) looking at tutorials on the web would be a great place to start. Ignore those that aren't well documented or commented. If you can find some that explain every little bit, then that is great. Find some that explain what they're doing step by step so that you can learn what each step is actually doing.

I have no experience with that book you've posted (or any Objective-C/iPhone book), but I also want to recommend finding Erica Sadun's iPhone Developer's Cookbook, or Jonathan Zdziarski's iPhone SDK Application Development: Building Applications for the AppStore. Both of these books are regarded as being fantastic iPhone geared resources.

Couple the tutorials with the information in the books, or vice versa, and you should be all set to begin. Also, check the information out at http://developer.apple.com/iphone . There is a wealth of knowledge there.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask on this forum.
  4. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    By 2 weeks, I mean I dedicated to learn as much as I can in that 2 weeks, (6+ hours) Once I get back to work I will only be able to learn for a hour or 2 a day
    I might look into some tutorials on making an app, but just to see how it works, but I probably won't until I have an understanding of making iphone/ipod touch apps.

I have searched around, and most of the threads/web pages said that you should not start learning iphone programming first, they say to learn to Objective C first and C++. But perhaps I am looking at the wrong websites.

Is it possible just to teach yourself on how to make apps just by looking at the Apple guides/ and iphone specific programming tutorial to?Or is it a must to have prior expereince from a different programming language?

I will definitely look into those books
  5. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yes you can teach yourself but with a lot of time on your hands
  6. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  7. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  8. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Thank you for that information itextterminal, but I am sure the OP has moved on. This thread was last updated 8-14-09.