First time jailbreaker

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zen123, Sep 24, 2009.

1. zen123

zen123 New Member

First of all I'd like to say HI to all from UK. I've never owned any Apple products before so I don't have any experience here at all. My first post here so please go easy on me.

I've just bought a brand new sealed iPhone 3GS from ebay which should be with me tomorrow. I've installed iTunes onto my Win XP computer & set up the preferences already. I've also downloaded redsn0w & all the files I need to jailbreak it.

As the phone is virgin device (locked to O2) what I need to know is do I need to activate the phone with the carrier simcard before I do the jailbreak or is that unnecessary?

Thanks
  2. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    im sure you can just jailbreak first. then unlock it with ultrasn0w in cydia. but make sure its not on 3.1.
  3. zen123

zen123 New Member

OK my phone arrived today & it on 3.0.1 firmware so looks like I'm good to go with the jailbreak.

Although I've researched jailbreak guides I'm a bit confused as to which version of iTunes I should use. I currently have the newest 9.0.1.8 but I've read that I have to to 8.2 I plan on using redsn0w.

My question is do I have to uninstall 9.0 & install 8.2?