first real ipod touch brick, it's official :(

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by romulusrex, Mar 11, 2008.

1. romulusrex

romulusrex New Member

Yeah,

so i've got a week 39ish ipod touch 16g, i hacked it many times, but i was happy with that jailbroken 1.1.2. NOW LOOK:
    The unforgiving apple archangels have somehow disabled my usb connection to the thing. forget restore mode, forget DFU. The only thing that'll charge this baby is an old skool firewire cable connection (from my G2 ipod), and that's all it'll do. no upgrade, no restore, just charge. And you can bet the apple logo is all i see before it reboots and goes on in an endless loop; it's not even the bsd error loop!

I'm kinda drunk, but has anyone had this problem? The home button-hold routine won't do a damn thing, since it won't even give props to my plugged in usb cable. THE HORROR. FEEL MY PAIN!

I'm about to send this back to apple and hope they won't notice the whole jailbreak thing, thus only charging me 20 euro for the postage, and no 230 for void guarantee.

Any ideas? You quiz kid donnie smiths should be able to muster up something, no?

I KNOW WHERE TO PUT YOUR LOVE
  2. ipodtouchesrule

ipodtouchesrule Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i don't understand what your saying here tell us what you did so that we can fix it.

it's impossible to "brick" an ipod touch.
  3. kingslaye505

kingslaye505 New Member

Try changing the USB port that the iPod was plugged in to. And if you can, bring it to an Apple store instead of shipping it and save 20 euro.

I prefer not to mod/hack my gadgets when drunk or otherwise incapactiated, that's just a personal preference though.
  4. romulusrex

romulusrex New Member

ok,

so i was running 1.1.2 jailbroken. All of a sudden (and believe me, i've been following this board since december, so i know it's not something common)whenever i plug in my usb cable, it doesn't do anything. Even when plugged into a charger, a dock, whatever, it won't even charge. So it doesn't detect the usb connection, right? That's the problem. If it can't detect the usb plug, it can't force a restore mode, or a DFU. I made the mistake of resetting the settings from the settings app, and trying to soft jailbreak to 1.1.3 with the devteam method over installer, somehow hoping it would solve the usb problem. But the jailbreak crashed, leaving me with the apple logo reboot cycle, and no way to enter DFU.

My question: has anyone experienced a failure in the usb protocol for no apparent reason, after jailbreaking a few times? Cause i haven't encountered a case like this online.

ps: yes i have tried other cables/ docks/chargers. all to no avail.

ps2: we don't have apple stores where i live, only resellers. and most of the times, they just tell you to buy a new one, before sending it to apple tech support.

ps3: i have tried all the usb ports in the world, also the chargers: it won't recognise the connection.
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Did you accidentally delete some dll's critical to your computer detecting your ipod? I'm not even sure that that is possible, it's just a thought.
  6. ipodtouchesrule

ipodtouchesrule Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    so you have ziphone right cuz you put it into dfu mode. so why don't you just try to put it into normal mode. or have you tried that?

download this and open up iphuc.exe and enter "enterrecovery" exactly like that and hit enter, and let your ipod go into recovery mode.

it should work then. hope it works

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. romulusrex

romulusrex New Member

not very likely, as the touch worked for 3 days before i f***ed it with the jailbreak attempt. Apart from installer crashing on start (a prob that many guys had with the new version) and the usb thing, the ipod worked fine.

I think it's stuck in reboot because the jailbreak got cut off and is telling the pod to run on files that were partially (or not) downloaded. But thats a second hand problem, the real prob is the usb thing.
  8. IRaidedTheFridge

IRaidedTheFridge New Member

Keep trying the holding home & sleep to get restore mode. I tried restoring mine once, and it wouldn't let me do it. I started freaking out, but the 10th time i tried, it worked.
  9. romulusrex

romulusrex New Member

i've gone all machead for two months now. I've tried ziphone and independence, but seeing the usb won't even show it's charging (a minimum i reckon), i don't think there is even the smallest amount of traffic going over usb. They keep 'searching' and 'waiting'.

ps: just to be clear: i didn't drop it, dip it in champagne or said unfriendly words to it.
  10. zirco33

zirco33 New Member

1) put down your iPod
    2) turn off your computer
    3) continue getting bombed
    4) sleep off a nice hangover
    5) have some egss and toast
    6) then try the home and power button again.

Dont stress man... Good luck!