First ipod touch this wed, shuld i get 1.1.2 or must i be careful about 1.1.3/update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by crystalnightmares, Jan 14, 2008.

1. crystalnightmares

crystalnightmares New Member

Finally bought one and should be arriving this wed.

I was reading about the whole possibility of 1.1.3 coming out, I'm kinda new to all this so I'm not too sure what it all means but there's been a lot of "don't plug your ipod to your computer" "Don't update" Reset your ipod" - then wat?...

I would like to be able to have lots of extra applications (I'm guessing through getting 1.1.2 on my ipod...) but i'm confused about the idea that they might brick our ipods etc...If i plugged my ipod into my mac for the first time this wed, should i not update to the 1.1.3 if it comes out and instead stop automatic updates and get 1.1.2 somehow? then ill be able to get the applications onto my ipod?

If something goes wrong, e.g. bricking the phone can you just reset the ipod and start from scratch like it was just bought? or when you brick it, it cant be fixed?

can anyone clear this up for me please? Like an 'idiot's guide" lol as to what i should do?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

if you already bought it and its being shipped to u then theres no way its 1.1.3
  3. crystalnightmares

crystalnightmares New Member

but then must i avoid it updating to 1.1.3 when i plug it into the computer for the first time? is 1.1.3 the model or the update?
  4. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

1.1.3 is the firmware thats due out sometime (could be tomorrow) look around the settings in itunes that pertain to updates, then turn off automatic updates

ull be all safe
  5. mexicanbaby5

mexicanbaby5 New Member

I'm not worried about it that much, and I have a good feeling it won't get bricked at all. I was wondering though, can they really update through wifi? If so...what do I do, I just don't want to update at all.

Sorry if this has been asked, just being a little careful.
  6. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

an update through wifi is completely unrealistic, not everyone has it, why would they rely on wifi to upgrade, thats being sneaky....almost as if they were trying to force an update on us

which from a legal standpoint, aint happening
  7. pierrechn

pierrechn New Member

but you gotta remember widgets and apps are coming so i would just wait cause once you jailbreak you are gonna have to update eventually to get the best out of the ipod......

an also when you buy one....you have to fully charge it right? what if i charge it a lil turn it off and finish later? btw i am suppose to be getting touch tomorrow
  8. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

some ppls come with a full charge, others come with an almost dead battery (mine did)

you should charge it like at least an hour once you get it (you have to connect it to the computer to activate it anyway so theres a little charge)

i think a quick charge will be fine assuming i understand the suggestions for the new standards in batteries (lithium-ion)
  9. dekigo92

dekigo92 New Member

I seriously doubt you'll brick your touch-- which I believe means it's unrestorable. that almost only happens to iphones people are unlocking.

In terms of the update, i'd just go ahead and chill on 1.1.2 even if the update comes out, until the Dev Team or someone else figures out how to jailbreak 1.1.3, which will inevitably happen. That's what I'm gonna do.
  10. kappatango

kappatango New Member

This thread is a perfect example of how the 1.1.3 thread yesterday has scared the sh!t out of people who are not familiar with the jailbreak.

The facts are, yes a 1.1.3 will be released, and yes, it will allow SDK with widgets and Apps ( which you will pay for in the majority). WIll this be un-jailbreakable? Maybe, but we dont know yet.

An update via WIFI is not gonna happen, certainly not forced. Even if you did turn on your WIFI and see an update message, it would ASK you if you WANT to update.

If you have auto updates OFF in iTunes ( EDIT>>>>PREFERENCES>>>>Uncheck the last box on general), then your iTunes will not even know 1.1.3 exists.

Therefore, your Ipod will not know 1.1.3 exists.

IMO ( not fact

) The worst case scenario will be you have to restore, but as neither the iTunes OR iPod will know about 1.1.3, its not gonna be a problem.

Keep your eyes on the forums an soon enough, the TRUTH will be posted based on FACT from fthe keynote and updates from the Jaibreakers.

You can search google and find the 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 firmware, just to be safe. I have both on my desktop, along with the jailbreak