First Ipod Touch - My experiences

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ldavies93, Dec 24, 2008.

1. ldavies93

ldavies93 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Thought I'd introduce myself -

I've been a previous Ipod 20gb 4th Gen user but this last year its sat pretty much stationary on my alarm clock!

I also have an Ipaq HX2415 that I used for work - recording calendar events, contacts, emails, TomTom etc

But I couldnt help but start looking for a new PDA!! Then I thought why not a new Ipod! a day later - ipod touch 2nd Gen 8Gb in my hands!

Actually I liked the touches feel for a PDA - seemed to do everything I wanted it to do - VNC, RDP, Calendar (limited - see below), Contacts, Emails. I particularly like the emails much more intuitive than Windows Mobile (as well as faster). Calendar also is easier to use with your thumb, much less fiddly!

However - I resented the idea of having iTunes on my Business Computer - just for syncing contacts/calendars. Also iTunes doesnt update whilst connected (eg ActiveSync will autoupdate your calendar with new events whilst its docked to the PC) - you have to press "Sync" every time, it also seems a lot slower!

Anyway - it annoyed me enough to look further into it! Now I sync my outlook calendar to Google Calendars so I have out of office access to it - so I needed a way to syncronize with google via the ipod. There are solutions for this but I personally found them either too confusing or cost money!

I finally came up with this http://www.nuevasync.com/

Which is essentially a free push MS exchange service that connects to google calendar. It does Calendars, Contacts, Emails & Tasks (although I'm not sure how it does those, since I'm not aware of a means of keeping tasks in the ipod).

needless to say 5 mins later - using the native Exchange connector on my touch - my calendar syncs in realtime with my google calendar, which consequently sync with my outlook (and also my mobile

Please Register or Log in to view images

). It may seem convoluted but it works a treat with me!

So I'm looking forward to a time when Jailbreaking comes about - although I'm not in a rush, app store seems to satisfy my application needs at the moment.

Apps I've got so far are:
    Foxmarks
    WiFinder
    Joost
    iPlayer
    Cooliris
    Facebook
    IM+Lite
    Google Earth (although just for showing off!)
    eBay
    Mocha VNC/RDP Lite
    MotionX Dice
    PenguinLite
    Enigmo
    Crash Bandicoot Cart
    Topple
    Tap Tap
    Space Deadbeef
    Super Monkey Ball

So anyway - thought I'd say hi - great site and post my initial feedback of this brill item!
  2. luphy

luphy New Member

Ipod Touches are great for work and play. I barely use my computer anymore because i have my touch. Anyway great review man

3. ldavies93

ldavies93 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Thx - I dont see that much around the web on ipod for office - thought I'd post my experiences - which is better than I thought -

Also just bought an Invisible Shield for it - had it for 4 days and already has scratches on the metalwork

4. MarcoPwnZ

MarcoPwnZ New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    lol great review... i was so glad i bought a silicone case and a screen protector for my ipod touch 2G cuz i dropped it and nothing happened at all! i dropped it on cement by accident and no scratches! so i really reccomend ppl to buy a casing for ur ipod touch lol...
  5. Germany

Germany Banned

Looks like you got a lot of nice apps already. Welcome to the forums, and remember to read the rules! The iPod Touch is great. It is a portable office, a social device, and a gaming device all in one. The app store provides endless fun and great utilities. Hope you find your iPod as useful as I do mine! Seems like you already have.