First impressions with the 3G touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theLorax, Sep 14, 2009.

1. theLorax

theLorax Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    This is coming from someone who owned a 1g, and never used a 2g, so my opinions might be a little different from 2g users.

First thing I noticed was that it's noticeably lighter than the 1g. The screen also has a smoother feeling to the surface, and doesn't seem to show fingerprints as much as the 1g screen.

I installed all my apps, music, photos, and videos on it, and ran through some tests.

Speed/Graphics:

I noticed a huge difference in speed. Apps start up quicker, and games load faster. I ran a few 3D games, like homerun race, imech, f.a.s.t., and wildwest poker, and the graphics are much more crisp, and smooth, and have a much better framerate with the updated gpu.

My 1g would often lag if I flicked through the coverflow view, or picture gallery too fast. So far it breezes through this without a hitch.

I ran through some websites like CNN, clicking on links, and web page browsing seems to be twice as fast.

I also use an app called speedtest, that tests your download/upload speed, and it scored much higher than my best scores using the 1g. i'm assuming its due to the new NIC.

Another main reason I upgraded was my 16gb was full. Now with all my media I still have plenty of space left. No big surprise there.

So far the only complaint I have with it, is that the voice control feature was very hit or miss for me. When I would ask to play a certain artist or album, it would play something different. Maybe i wasnt talking loud enough, or my voice is funny, but it was sketchy. Not a big deal for me since I don't plan on using this very much. I also tried out voice memo and that worked out fine, with good sound quality on the clips.

I also wish that it came with a wall charger. Apple brand, or decent 3rd party ones cost 25-35. When i'm playing apps or watching videos on the couch, i'm too far from my computer to charge it with just the USB cable, so i pretty much had to spend a little more and get the wall charger.

Startup/shutdown time is faster, as well as app browsing, and itunes video/song previews.

So aside from the 2g updates I wanted (external volume control, built in speaker, and bluetooth support) it comes as no surprise that the biggest draw here is the increased speed and improved graphics, as well as the better storage/price points.
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. Billyman

Billyman New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have 1G....cant wait to get a 3G

Please Register or Log in to view images

Good review but there is no built in mic just the earphones that came with it.

I'm gonna hold off until nxt month becuz of reports of hardware defects and any news on if the camera is coming or not

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. batgirl898

batgirl898 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Does anyone know if the skin for a 2 gen will fit the 3rd gen? My touch is being shipped and I am very excited to get since this will be my 1st touch screen anything!
  5. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It will fit. I have a 2nd gen skin and it fits great.
  6. batgirl898

batgirl898 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thank you!!!!! I am soooo excited and can't wait for everything to come in the mail!!!!!
  7. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    it most certainly will fit
  8. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I want one even more now!
  9. Billyman

Billyman New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Whats a "skin"?
  10. gsimonds

gsimonds Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have Switcheasy NeoTouch that I loved for my 2g, yet on my 3g it seems to be a bit of a tighter fit. I have gotten pretty quick at taking it off and putting it back on my 2g, but it certainly takes a lot more work on the 3g.

Wifi: I can't believe how much faster the 3g wifi is compared to the 2g. After running several tests it looks like my 3g was 2-3 times faster. Ever since 3.0 I had been disgusted with my 2g wifi... ty Apple