First ever Ipod... general questions..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xythil, Jul 9, 2009.

1. xythil

xythil New Member

1) I hate itunes. My first MP3 player and the one I have had for years is a creative labs DJ. Basically, I can plug it in, open it as a drive, dump my songs on it at will, and then listen to them. I am hoping I can do this with an Ipod touch in the same way? I don't want to have to install the bloatware that is itunes =0 I also don't want itunes telling me my songs are not valid or forcing me to re-rip gigs upon gigs of old CDs. I like doing things manually. It is so much eaiser to just dumb my songs onto it like a disk drive then to have to sync with itunes.

2) I currently have a PSP with CFW on it and I LOVE the possibilities it provides. Not having to carry around my UMDs is just a great bonus along with everything else it opens up. Does jailbreaking offer the same kind of advantages as CFW on a PSP? Is it worth it to jailbreak? What can I do with a jailbroken ipod touch that I can't do without jailbreaking. Thanks in advance.

3) I realize an ipod touch is not an iphone but I am curious how different are they? Say I am at a wifi hot spot... could I whip out my ipod touch and instant message people with ease with MSN or AOL? Are there apps for this or am I limited to using meebo?

4) How is the web browsing? Is it slow and bad like a PSP or is it pretty nice? Something I could use while I am at the gym working out to check email and message boards and stuff?

5) Lastly just a side question. What exactly is Firmware 3.0 and why is it forbidden? Mind you I am new to Ipods in general and expecially Ipod touches... so I am not trying to find out how to get it if it is illegal. I am just curious because the site warns not to ask for it. Why would firmware from apple be forbidden?

Thanks.

3)

3)
  2. Skeptikal

Skeptikal New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. itunes is the only option unfortunatly

2. jailbreaking is definatly worth it with jailbreaking you can get emulators, themes, tweaks e.g five colum springboard and all the other jailbroken apps

3. there is beejiveim or many other msn apps so yes when you have wifi u can use a msn like app to talk to people.

4. the web browsing is very good i dunno what the psps net was like heard was sh*t but its prob one of the best portable browsers out (ipod touch im talking bout)

5. the 3.0 firmware is the newest firmware and it isnt forbidden just not paying for it and pirating it is forbidden on this site it adds new features like bluetooth (watered down version no file transfers yet) horizontal notes (my favourite new addition) and heaps of new features but it messes ur wifi up (thats me and ive seen a few people complaining about there wifi 2)
  3. xythil

xythil New Member

1) So you can't view your iphone as a drive and just dump songs? At all? What prevents this? Or can you add music this way just the only way to organize things and add apps/update is itunes?

2) I don't really need emulators and stuff as I have a PSP which has all of that stuff and was built for gaming.. mostly I just want internet at hotspots, music, and chating/email.

3) Do those apps require jailbreaking or are they free to download for natural firmware?

4) Good to know.

5) Why would anyone pay for it? Its a free update from apple.. it says so on there page... or is it not released yet?

Thanks man. BTW is jailbreaking a ipod touch as "difficult" as a PSP. Not that a PSP was hard but it did require some tools and hard mods.

Oh and one last thing.. how different is an ipod touch from an iphone?

oh and edit... how can a firmware update add bluetooth... blue tooth is hardware.
  4. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    to lazy to read all of that sorry but i read 1 and there are programs for that. i forgot the names but there are other options other than itunes. google it.
  5. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    1. Nope. However using iTunes isn't as painful as you may think. It's actually really functional once you get used to it.

2. Yes. Jailbreaking lets you do so much more on your iPod.

3. Yes, and there are many apps for IM.

4. My brother has a PSP and trust me, especially once you get used to it, browsing on an iPod Touch is way better.

5. It's not "forbidden" as you'd think it is. It's just this forum does not allow discussion of piracy and the 3.0 upgrade cost $10. But fortunately if you buy your iPod now it will already come with 3.0, so you don't have to worry about it.

[EDIT] Crap I missed the OP's latest post.
  6. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    There's sharepod and others instead of iTunes
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Not necessarily, my friend about a month ago bought a refurb 1st gen that was just updated to 1.1.5 or 1.1.4 whichever is the newest of the 1.x.x
  7. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Nope. Everything is locked into the firmware, no drive capabilities here.

the iPod Touch is great for pretty much whatever you need it for.

There are many apps you can get through the App Store without jailbreaking for IM, some are free, others are paid.

Yep.

It's only a free upgrade for iPhones not iPod Touchches.

I've looked into messing with my brother's PSP and trust me, jailbreaking an iPod Touch is super easy.

It's not a phone. That's about it.
  8. Skeptikal

Skeptikal New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. im not quite sure what prevents it showing up as a drive well actually its to do with the hard drive not being the same as the others i beleive. so doesent show up as a removable drive on yah computer.

2. yeah.

3. no there app store apps. so most are free but beejiveim is not free. but theres alot of free versions

5. because its a major firmware update and they wanna make more money and its free for iphone users.

jailbreaking the new firmware took me 5 minutes but thats cause ive been in the ipod touch and jailbreakin scene for a while its not hard to jailbreak 3.0 because its just a program that runs everything for you all you have to do is put it in dfu mode and thats all i think

different because ipod touch has no camera or phone funtions (ov course) iphone has a mic ipod doesent iphone has wifi 3g and edge and full bluetooth and ipod just has wifi and half bluetooth.
  9. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    It's 1.1.5 btw. Wow, that'd be kind of lame. I don't think I'd ever buy a refurb'd electronic though.
  10. xythil

xythil New Member

Ok so if I am forced to use itunes... am I able to dump my 5 gigs worth of music from my MP3 player to my laptop and sync it using itunes to my ipod touch? Or will it pull some proprietary DRM nonsense on me? I hate giving into big business=/

Do you guys recommend screen protectors and/or carrying cases? If so what is a good brand/place to find them? I got some for my PSP from Walm-mart and they worked great. except for the pain in the ass of applying it without bubble lol

Also can someone link me to a jailbreak guide? I tried search and all I got were posts asking someone to link them to a guide lol, irony at its best.