First Bricked Touch? ;)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tamgoose, Oct 21, 2007.

1. tamgoose

tamgoose New Member

Hi,

Hopefully my title isn't true and one of you guys can help me out a little.

I Jailbroke my touch, I installed a few programs.. had my fun.. then decided to try and install the alpha beta summerboard. This is where the problems started.

I have obviously searched high and low on the forums to find similiar problems but I think you'll find mine is rather unique.

I am stuck on the opening apple start-up screen. I have plugged my touch in, downloaded the 1.1.1 patch via iTunes and have tried to restore where I get an error 1/4 along the "Extracting Files" progress bar and receive the message "-50 error, cannot restore" this exact same thing happens when I attempt the recovery mode restore.

I have tried deleting my music/videos/pics then trying the restores, this also doesn't make any difference.

I have realised my wifi is still picking up my touch even though it's stuck on the apple screen. So I'm still able to get into all my files via SSH/WINSCP.

The only thing I can think of now... is to delete every file in my touch via winscp and then try the restore. BUT - I have 2 questions///

1. Do I need to keep some core files in the touch for it to work or can I just delete everything?

2. If this f***s it all up.. can I take it back to Argos and claim nothing came installed on my touch and get a new one? and/or just say it was an unwanted gift and they should give me a new one? or do they send them all away for checking?

Thanks in advance//
  2. Mint-Berry Crunch

Mint-Berry Crunch Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    press and hold the power and hold buttons while having the ipod connected to your computer... keep them held untill you see a "connect to itunes" image. restore.
  3. tamgoose

tamgoose New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I've already done the recovery mode restore.
  4. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I wouldn't go deleting everything man. Try all methods of restore first.
  5. tamgoose

tamgoose New Member

Can you tell me the other methods?

I have done the.. plug in and hit restore button and the recovery mode restore about 100 times each. I get a -50 error.. i can't find anyone that has had this error :/
  6. phroztbyt3

phroztbyt3 New Member

go into apple.. tell them you were just trying to restore it.. and it errored on you like this.. so you just the restore mode.. and it still errorred... they really cant say no... i mean they dont have any jailbreak tester really.. i havent seen any evidence of this
  7. itouch101

itouch101 New Member

What you should do is.. simply reboot your computer try to restore if that doesnt work uninstall itunes and try again..
  8. tamgoose

tamgoose New Member

can i get anything more than.. reboot.. reinstall itunes.. reboot.. try again?

I've done all that 100 times already.
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

You may have tried restore, but did you try to put the iPod into recovery mode?
  10. tamgoose

tamgoose New Member

Hi yes i've tried the normal restore then I followed the recovery mode steps and restored that way and still got the same -50 error.