first attempt at real 3D modeling

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by randomdude1234, May 13, 2010.

1. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

here it is. ive been active in the halo CE community, so i am decided to make this. going to add some detail (right now it is just a shape. no detail whatsoever). could someone, for the life of me, tell me HOW to smooth objects in Cinema 4D?

EDIT: one sec

Please Register or Log in to view images

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  2. berky93

berky93 New Member

looks like a good start you have there. I don't know cinema 4d, but if it has a modifier stack like 3ds max (that would be a list of different modifiers that can be applied to an object) then look for something along the lines of "mesh smooth."

also, when creating a 3 dimensional object remember to keep a clean geometry. that becomes increasingly important as your models get more complicated.

I remember creating an ipod model a while ago (I think I posted a render here) and I forgot to check my geometry as I was going along. the render looks good, but it took a ton more effort to do even the simplest tasks, and I had to change my methods (the chamfered edge on the black plastic is just a material illusion, chamfering was impossible because of the terrible geometry)
  3. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Looks good, maybe a bit out of proportion though
  4. canardo93

canardo93 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That is cool
  5. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It depends upon the method you modelled it in, but you could always add a Hyper NURBS to the part you want to smooth.
    The problem is that it'll make you add a stupid amount of polygons to your model, and make it completely unusable in a game. However, the advantage of Hyper NURBS is that it'll give you a very smooth model, right now with absolutely no work.

Alternatively, you could increase your polygon count manually and use the tool Iron to smooth out bumps in your mesh. I'd recommend this more, but it's not quite as easy to use. Looking at your model, it's probably better than Hyper NURBS though.

To be honest though, it would be better to use that model in game rather than a smoothed one. It depends how the lighting is done, but with a well textured model it's easier to hide bumpy geometry.
  6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ah meikura I forgot you used C4D

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

making some changes. fixing the curve ( i tried a hyperNURB but it didnt smooth in the right direction) and adding the detail on the curve, which will be where i am focusing for right now.

thanks for the tips meik.
  8. helehole

helehole Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    sorry if this is stupid but, have you tryed google sketchup? its easy to learn and VERY easy to make models in
  9. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

its entirely unprofessional and cannot be ported to most things i would be modeling for.
  10. berky93

berky93 New Member

For in-game models, especially in older games like Halo: CE, detail isn't achieved through modeling. Objects are basic versions of what they appear to be, and then the applied textures have simulated bumps and details.