Firmware 2.2 has broken my iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dis-chord, Jan 4, 2009.

1. dis-chord

dis-chord New Member

Hi there, I'm really hoping someone can help me out.

I have an iPod Touch 2 32GB. Tonight I chose to update the firmware to version 2.2. After downloading the update, iTunes displayed an error message saying something like the device could not be updated, or that the update had failed. The "my iPod" icon disappeared from iTunes and the device itself became completely unresponsive.

The screen is now permanently blank. It won't turn on, none of the buttons do anything and when you plug it in to the PC it does not recognise that anything has been connected. It seems to be completely dead.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do as this is such a massive disappointment. Many thanks in advance.
  2. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    you could try sending it to apple....thats very strange. usually the bootscreen still loads
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm sure others will offer up good answers - but if it comes down to it, take it to an Apple Store where they will definitely try to figure out the issue or they will give you a replacement.
  4. dis-chord

dis-chord New Member

Thanks for the help so far. Will an Apple store be willing to help me out even if I didn't buy my iPod Touch from one?

The exact same thing actually happened when I tried to update the firmware to 2.1.1 (on the same day that I got it!) - except that time I simply used the restore option to recover the device. This time there was no restore option available in iTunes and the application was behaving as if it was open by itself, with no iPod attached to the host computer.

The first time the firmware update failed, I reported it back to Apple (the device was literally brand new after all!) and mentioned that I was concerned about making firmware updates in the future. They told me not to worry and that no failed firmware update would ever be fatal to the device...
  5. alnikki25k

alnikki25k New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Did u try putting your iPod in DFU mode?
  6. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    It doesn't matter where you purchased it. They just go by the serial number.
  7. Steve Pearce

Steve Pearce New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I've bought two iPod Touches, one from eBay and one from Amazon. Both had problems and in each case the Apple Store replaced them.
  8. Jrobb

Jrobb Guest

Just leave your iPod Touch off for a day, it should run the battery down, then plug it in. It worked for my 1st gen, and my friends 2nd gen. This seems to happen a lot on 2.x firmware, but I haven't had a problem with it on 2.2 jailbroken.
    Hope this helps!
  9. dis-chord

dis-chord New Member

I can't seem to work out how to do that. I've found a few different instructions on the web but I can't seem to get iTunes to recognise the device.

By holding down the power and home buttons for various durations I did get Windows XP to recognise that a USB device was connected, but all it said was that it had found unknown device that had malfunctioned.

What are the proper instructions for putting it into DFU mode?

Thanks.
  10. KingKoala

KingKoala New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Into DFU mode:

1.With the iPod plugged into pc the iPod should auto turn on. Hold down the home and sleep buttons till the screen goes off.
    2.Wait a few seconds
    3.Hold the home and sleep buttons down again and count 10 seconds, then release the sleep button and keep the home button held down for at least 30 seconds...

I try to upgrade to 2.2 but always fault, and have to go into DFU mode and restore to 2.11

Please Register or Log in to view images