Firmware 2.2: A Little Clarification

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chaofan, Dec 2, 2008.

1. chaofan

chaofan Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    While I'm not usually one to start a thread without searching, the threads I've looked into have confused me.

With regards to the iPod Touch 2G's firmware update and the jailbreak, are the Chronic Dev and iPhone-blog teams working according to 2.1 firmware or 2.2? Or does it not matter at all?

I remember one of my friends having an iPod Touch 1G, and she bought it when firmware 1.13 was out. Apple then came out with 1.14, and her iPod Touch 1G was rendered un-jailbreakable for a bit. Applying this scenario, would it be better to keep with 2.1, or is 2.2 essentially the same in terms of the jailbreaking progress so far?

In summary: Is Chronic Dev working on a jailbreak for firmware 2.1 only? Or will they be able to apply it to 2.2 straight away as soon as they jailbreak it?
  2. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. chaofan

chaofan Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I know it's been out, but I've avoided upgrading in case it'll make the jailbreaking process harder for the iPod Touch 2G

DOUBLE POST: I just used my friend's iPod Touch 1G as an example to my query.
  4. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ah i see what you mean...hmm not sure lol sry.... the dev team did tell people not to upgrade to 2.2 (for the 3g unlock) ... i guess it wont hurt to stay on 2.1 or just upgrade now and downgrade if they want 2.1... 0_0 nvm
  5. JAD

JAD New Member

You can put the latest firmware on your 2G. You can always revert back if you need to. The iPhone has baseband updates which don't apply to the iPod so they have to be careful, we don't.
  6. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Its fine, you can upgrade, it doesn't have to do with the firmware, it has to do with some functions, and those functions, as the Dev teams have stated, are still working. So upgrading will not harm the time limit, possibly may make it faster.
  7. chaofan

chaofan Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Cheers! Thanks for the clarification. Updating to 2.2 with better Wifi functionality \(^_^)/!!!
  8. King Chronic

King Chronic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    been looking into something interesting for a bit, and have been doing tests on my test iPod Touch 2G that I bought, and it is on 2.2. not sure if that is what you are asking, but if so, there you have it

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    *double post sry*

just in case that wasn't what you are asking, then what i can tell you is that it is safe to assume that any iBoot exploit in 2.1 was probably not covered in 2.2, if it did have one.
  9. chaofan

chaofan Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    :O From Chronic himself!

Yes, you answered my question in both cases

Please Register or Log in to view images

. So Firmware 2.2 doesn't patch up any so called "exploit" and thus I can safely upgrade without impending any delay to jailbreaking. Cheers for the explanation!