Firefox on iPod Touch/iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by J Paul, Mar 11, 2008.

1. J Paul

J Paul New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So I was looking on Mozilla's site for the system requirements for the newest beta release of Firefox, and these are the exact requirements for any mac computer:

Mac

Operating Systems

• Mac OS X 10.4 and later
    Minimum Hardware

• Macintosh computer with an Intel x86 or PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
    • 128 MB RAM (Recommended: 256 MB RAM or greater)
    • 200 MB hard drive space
    Well, I'm sure that we have all that and more on the iPod Touch and iPhone. Hell, some features could even be scaled back to save resources because a good bit wouldn't even work with the interface.

Well that got me thinking; Since Mozilla Firefox is open source software, couldn't any iPod Touch/iPhone application developer easily port the mac version, and release it under GNU with no repercussions whatsoever? I don't know about you guys, but I personally hate safari. Always have, probably always will. Most Apple software just doesn't work for me anyway, and Safari's no exception, and having used Firefox for as long as I can remember, I would feel a lot better browsing the web with it than anything other.

Who else would like to see something like this?
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I'm not sure a mobile firefox (if ever made) would offer that much more than what we have from safari. Also, I don't expect to see firefox ever ported to this platform.

Hell, if someone does it, I will certainly look into it.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iPod Touch has an ARM processor, Which is the ARM Architecture. It has exactly (if less) 128 MB of RAM.

Safari is good enough already. And they're making it even better in 2.0

We don't need Opera or Firefox or Camino or Internet Explorer or AOL Explorer or OmniWeb.
  4. J Paul

J Paul New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, that's the great thing about open sourced software. We don't need permission from Mozilla to begin work. We don't even need Mozilla to care. It can just be done by anyone.

Now, if it was closed-source, then I'd see no possibility whatsoever, since it's very unlikely for a company to invest resources into a platform with which they have no part. However, since anyone can just jump right in and release a port under GNU, it makes it highly possible that it could, sometime in the future, become a reality.

"Safari is good enough already"

My ass. sh*t crashes constantly (as well as ipod.app/music.app). Since OSX was ported directly, I believe that Firefox could be ported directly as well, in that less work could probably be done in the porting process than in the process of making Safari 'good enough'.
  5. GarnetNGold

GarnetNGold Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I use firefox for the add-ons. Now lets think with all the cool add-ons running too on your iPod wouldn't crash more?
  6. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Think of the Instability....

You see a sign in the water.... It reads

"You are now Entering Windows Waters. Turn back now, lest ye be warned..."

Oh crap...
  7. dwonder3

dwonder3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The computer requirment have nothing to do with having it on ipod/iphone. You would have to have a mobile version to have it on iPod/iPhone. And that could be adapted to iPod/iPhone. I don't see a mobile version of firefox coming.
  8. J Paul

J Paul New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's funny that you're probably just using that stereotype because that's what you've been told from the mac commercials, but in all actuality, Firefox is developed naively for both Linux and OSX, and perform the exact same on both platforms as they do on Windows: wonderfully.

You wouldn't necessarily need a mobile version, as the ipod's running a full version of OSX, meaning all that needs to be changed is the interface (the easiest part of app development), because the entire framework is already there, and availiable for everyone to use as they wish.
  9. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Personally, I use Firefox only on Windows and Linux.

On OS X, Safari is the thing for me. It runs faster and has a lesser loading time than Firefox. Firefox hangs sooo bad on OS X 10.5.2.
  10. J Paul

J Paul New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Okay, I won't refute that; Firefox 2.0 was fairly sh*tty. But using Firefox 3 Beta 4 right now, sh*t's better than it ever could have been.