Firefox 4 Mobile Beta Goes Live

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by Imariel, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Imariel

Imariel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Firefox 4 Mobile Beta 1 is live for all Android phones and the Nokia N900. I watched the demo video and it gives me another reason to switch to Android.
  2. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    The beta status is indeed not just for show... Engadget desktop site completely locks up my Motorola Droid... every single time without fail. Website scrolling seems to copy the deferred rendering method of iPhone's Mobile Safari, which renders only the part that the user sees. But it re-renders much slower so the parts that haven't rendered yet show quite regularly. Worse than the iPhone 3G and the checkerboard pattern in Mobile Safari...

At least it scrolls and navigates better than the stock browser. I can see some promise here... though they seriously need to fix that freezing bug... It's happened only on Engadget for me, but I suspect it might affect other sites.

Edit: and Flash doesn't work. The rest is just as you can imagine... Overall, I think it's just another web browser on Android...
  3. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Not even going to bother with it.
  4. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Well, I have tried multiple ROMs now so I'm pretty certain this is not a ROM issue. The browser freezes.

Too bad I don't have the N1 here to test... but I'm not very impressed with it. At least it works better than Fennec Alpha, but something is missing...