firefly media server is great if you want to sit at your computer but .....

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by jorad, Mar 9, 2008.

1. jorad

jorad New Member

Here's the thing. If I wanted to be strapped to my computer and listen to my music why wouldn't I just plug the iPod in? Here's a cool idea. Instead of sending out a shared playlist, why not send out a radio station? That way you dont have to be at the computer to change the song. I dont mean sending FM radiowaves I mean making the server an " online" , local radio station. I know that iTunes won't automatically pick it up and we'll have to add it.. But I say that would be the best app available
  2. lazyasada

lazyasada Banned

if you have wi-fi there is flytunes do you want a invite
  3. jorad

jorad New Member

no man... I have iRadio for that. I'm talking about sending out a wifi radio station from the iPod to iTunes.... That way when you change the song on the iPod the song changes to the same in iTunes tuned to that local wifi network station therefore the iPod controls what the computer plays not just sending a playlist.
  4. jorad

jorad New Member

So nobody thinks it is possible to implement a Wifi network only Radio station that would stream to iTunes, or even an ip Url? Any help or ideas would be welcome. I think it would be a great addition to the app selection.
  5. jorad

jorad New Member

Did some more research and found www.icecast.org . Icecast is an open source web based radio station server. Perhaps it could be ported to the touch/iPhone much in the same way that Firefly was. and instead of using the library as a source (which wouldn't work because it's looking for a single song to broadcast) you could use the currently playing song command string (whatever that is I don't know anything about Dev) to send the broadcast. that way when the computer is tuned to http://192.168.1.100 (or whatever yor IP is) it would play whats playing on the ipod. Any devs out there want to give it a go, or give me a hand, pointers even?
  6. Cstsxyfry212

Cstsxyfry212 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i would like an invite!! Pm me or something. Or my email is cstsxyfry212@aol.com its also in my sig.

Btw, are u gonna use the avatar i made for u?? Jw..