Finding your IPSW

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mikeny711, Aug 23, 2009.

1. mikeny711

mikeny711 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey thanks for reading this,

Well first let me edit and say sorry I didn't put this in the sub-forum, I just got eager to post my question like a nub haha

Please Register or Log in to view images

So I was trying to begin jailbreaking my ipod touch (2nd Generation, just paid for the 3.0 software) and so I dl'd redsn0w 0.7.2. I extracted it into a desktop folder I named redsnow as directed, but then I was told to find my .ipsw. Now, using Vista, I managed to get to C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes, but there was no more folders to navigate through. I have my folder settings on show all folders and files, where is the .ipsw file?

Thanks for your help,
    Mike

P.S. Sorry if someone has asked this, I didn't see it in the related topics when I wrote in the topic title
  2. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Can you see hidden files and folders ? Go to the Control Panel - Folder Options - View and tick the "Show hidden files and folders" and "Hide protected operating system files". Don't worry, you can set them back if you want to.

Or you could try searching the hard drive. But tick the Advanced Options checkbox and enable "Search system folders" and "Search hidden files and folders". The file is called "iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw" but you could search for "iPod" and see what you find.

PS: There's also a newer version of redsn0w. I think v8.1.
  3. mikeny711

mikeny711 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well I had already ticked the first option but I had not unchecked the hide protected files.

Still, I went to Appdata-> Roaming->Apple Computer->itunes -> and all i had was an empty itunes plugin folder and a itunespref xml document.

I noticed There is also a C:\Users\Michael\Application Data folder next to my appdata folder but it says I can't access it even though I am the only user on this comp and the admin of it
  4. canesfan

canesfan Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    im not sure if im right but isnt it in the documents and settings folder under your username? i used to have a pc but now i have a mac so im not sure. U could search it on the search program.
  5. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Go To Start > Run

Type %appdata%, and try to find it through Windows Explorer.
    You dont want that Roaming stuff.

After you found it in Explorer, copy and paste it on your desktop for easy access.
  6. mikeny711

mikeny711 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    When i type in %appdata% in run, it auto brings me to the AppData folder -> Roaming.

I also searched my cdrive for iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw and found nothing. WTF?