Finally updating from 1.1.3, have some questions...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by casedria, Dec 25, 2009.

1. casedria

casedria New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    I've searched and read around and still haven't found the answers to my questions. I currently have the first gen iPod touch jailbroken on 1.1.3. I want to update to 3.1.2. What I want to know:

1. If I backup now and later restore from backup, will it keep all of my jailbroken apps and data (like videos I've downloaded with MxTube, summerboard themes)?

2. Is there a way to backup/save all my jailbroken apps and data and then reload them after I jailbreak on 3.1.2? (something like AptBackup but I don't have Cydia ? There is something called Time Capsule in Installer but I'm not sure if it's what I need, or if I can even dl it)

3. Since it's currently jailbroken, do I need to restore first or should I just click Update? (I'm currently using iTunes 8) (sorry if this is a really stupid question, I just don't want to mess anything up)

also: I have Windows Vista
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    • Anything on 1.1.3 wont work on 3.1.2 so its useless backing them up. Since 2.0, installer has died, cydia/rock are the new kings.
    • Summerboard doesn't exist anymore either, winterboard, made by saurik is the theme app now so backing them up is useless aswell.
    • Update to the latest iTunes which i think is 9.0.2 but I can't be sure. You wont be able to update to 3.1.2 without it.
    • There are two ways of jailbreaking 3.1.2, if you're on os x you can use the latest pwnage tool which you can get from the dev team's blog. You'll be able to update to a custom 3.1.2 ipsw with that.
    • Alternatively you can update to a stock 3.1.2 and use blackra1n to jailbreak it that way (it takes literally 30 seconds to jailbreak with this
  3. casedria

casedria New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    that's what I was afraid of :/ but thanks for clearing it up.

I forgot to mention, I use Windows Vista, I've read about jailbreaking problems with vista before... is Blackra1n vista-compatible?
  4. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah it should work perfectly. I'd run it as an admin though if you can, just to be on the safe side
  5. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It should be fine, but running it in Admin mode is always advisable.

Good luck on 3.1.2... Its different for sure. I guess its for the better, though.

I liked it on 1.x... Those were the days.

Anyways, good luck. Hopefully you don't run into any problems.