Finally played Final Fantasy XII

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Meikura, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    OK, so earlier on today, I got decided to nip on our flat's PS2 and play some Final Fantasy XII, and it's the first time I've ever played, or seen anything about it.

I've got to say, it has definitely grown on me! First impressions were "What the hell is this crap combat system" (I'm used to Lost Odyssey/Final Fantasy X), but I think it's actually pretty good. Unfortunately, why have they inverted the right analogue stick on the horizontal axis (with no option I found to change it back)?

I mean, seriously, what the hell!?
    But apart from that, I played it for about an hour and a half and the time just flew by. Very impressed so far, and looking forward to getting Final Fantasy XIII for my 360 when it comes out

Please Register or Log in to view images

If you've played FFXII, what did you think of it?
  2. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    i borrowed it from a friend awhile ago and i played it for a bit and i said wow this is terrible and i gave it back

8 and 9 and tactics are still the only ones i've enjoyed (and a hell of a lot at that)
  3. Meikura

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    How come you didn't enjoy it?
    I'll admit, the babysitting at the beginning of the game is annoying as hell but it does get so much better!
  4. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ehh the battle system just really freaked me out and i didn't like it at all, and i couldn't see myself ever liking it

and it makes me sad that they're probably using the same system for all the new ones

ah well i still need to get around to playing 10
  5. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

I don't like XII much, mianly due to the combat system but the game itself was a bit too different for me , like the way you progress etc, i'll admit it's not as bad as X-2 but it's not as good as the nice old turn-based system in X. Having said that i didn't mind Dirge of Ceribus, and that was a completely different game.

Also, didn't care much for Vaan. Far too feminine. Couldn't really get into the storyline. I know Tidus isn't exactly the most manly of men, nor is Cloud, but they at least gave the element that they had some power. Plus the storyline and gathering summons is so much fun in X. If i had to pick one game to keep on my PS2 it'd probably be final fantasy X.
  6. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've played and completed every Final Fantasy from VI to X. I found XII far too boring, long and uninteresting. I didn't care for the majority of characters or the story, and the combat system did nothing for me.
  7. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

If you played FF VII when it was first released you would of probably liked it a lot more. The thing is, your gunna be used to newer more advanced games so going back to an old game, however good it was, you wont like it as much as you would of.

Its like me, I never played Perfect Dark on N64 when it was released, I played it a few years ago though now having PS2/Xbox 360 and I thought it was terrible (even though it was such a good game for its time).

Hmm, rather long post.
  8. Meikura

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I played Final Fantasy VII and VIII when they were released(ish), but as a kid I never had a playstation, so it was only at friends' houses.

I still hate the camera

Please Register or Log in to view images

It would be nice if, in combat, the camera swung at looked down on the combat from a side or something (like the old games). I think the controls are nice, but I just don't like having it 3rd person all the time during combat.