Final Fantasy XIII

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by ((( Sunn Aphex ))), Mar 13, 2010.

1. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

((( Sunn Aphex ))) New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Who else is playing it and how do you like it?

I'm playing it on my ps3 and I love it so far, only rented it though till I get some money together...

I like the battle system a lot.
  2. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I've been loving it, also on the PS3, 28 hours of gameplay so far, end of Ch.11 (can't beat the boss, been trying for like 3 hours now). I've hit the point where unless you stop and train for like 3 hours you'll never beat the boss.

Looking back, I've made a lot of bad decisions as far as upgrading weapons/the crystarium that I wish I could change.
  3. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

Device:
    iPad
    Yea dude, I have gotten to the part where you crash land the ship on the "Trashworld" place I think it's like chapter 3 or 4...Tonight I will put in a hell lot of hours because I don't have school tomorrow and the ps3 is right next to my bed now....

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I can't believe that it's just you and I in this thread so far...

The linearity of the game is starting to make me angry. There's only one point in the game where it's open world, and by open world I simply mean that they stick you in a big ass field (which I never really explored) and unless you do the first 2 side missions there, you can't ever go back, and because of that you can never go back and do the sidequests.

They should also let you retract your progress on the crystarium grid, like I said I made some bad decisions on it and they can't be undone.

Something i just figured out is that if your sabeteur casts (let's say) slow on a boss and they're immune to it, then they cast haste on themselves, your sabeteur won't even try to cast slow on it to get rid of haste. Which is why I'm currently stuck at the end of Chapter 12.

It'd also be really nice if they actually told you how many stages are in the crystarium, just when I'm about to catch up I unlock a new stage and then I'm starting over from zero again.
  5. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm considering a purchase of this game, however, if it turns out to be as disappointing as I've been hearing, I think this one'll be erased from my list of games to buy. So, is it a Five Star game?
  6. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I think it's been absolutely fantastic so far. Visually it's gorgeous, the music blends flawlessly and the plot (while they start you off in the dark) is captivating. If you're a fan of any of the previous games, you'll like it, and I'm almost 40 hours in and still have one more chapter (although the chapters aren't of equal length) to go, with no sidequests/extras done at all.

I'd say it's worth buying if you're looking for an rpg, but like all things it does have its flaws.
  7. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    ^What if you weren't able to keep interest in any of the FF titles before?

Is it mostly grinding? And is it very linear just as I've heard?
  8. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Haha then it's probably not for you.

You might wanna just rent it, cuz it's not worth buying if you're going to lose interest in it pretty fast.
  9. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

Device:
    iPad
    I recommend renting it then, because it's not quite like other ff titles even though it is a ff game.

I am a fan of some of the previous ff, never been hardcore about it, but I like this game a lot...bit linear but it's ok because I like the leveling system for one reason. In previous ff games you really never knew when to stop grinding, in this one it caps your crystillium(skill and stat tree) according to where you are in the game so you know when you don't have to train anymore....

I rented it and have to return it tomorrow, since I'm only on chapter 5 and enjoying it, I figure I'm just going to buy it since it's much longer than the two other great single player games out right now: heavy rain and god of war 3 each very good games, but I will be renting them and beating them within a week.....
  10. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well I own heavy rain as well, I beat it in 3 days I think, around 10hours. But that game has a ton of replay value, beat it 3 times already and as soon as I beat ff13 I'm going to go back and beat it at least 1 more time. Whereas ff13, once I beat it I think I'm done with it. I'm not someone who's obsessed with trophies/achievements, I don't NEED to fill up the crystarium for every character (which in the later stages takes a ton of time), I'm pretty happy just knowing the story and getting some of the simpler extras. Speaking of which, it's disappointing that there aren't any special/extra summons in this game. That's something that's been included in almost every other final fantasy game and it's always been totally worth getting (except the magus sisters in ff10, although they were awesome), but in this one it's one per character no exceptions.

I'm pretty happy, at the beginning of ch13 they give you the opportunity to go back and do more or less anything you want, which was one of my complaints in my earlier posts. Apparently after you beat the game (or very close to it) they also give you the opportunity to go back and do what you want, and even going back to the one open world spot in the game there are spots there where I couldn't defeat the enemies so there's a +1 for making it mandatory to go back if you want to do everything.

I really hate how the first time you switch paradigms in a match, it completely stops whatever's going on for your team to show each character's aura thing change color. Probably a way to skip it, I know that if you're in the air it doesn't do it, but I've lost quite a few battles do to that.

EDIT: Beat ff13 two days ago, turns out you don't unlock the last Crystarium stage until after the last boss, then it gives you the option to save and if you load from that save you start at the last save point (most likely with the intent to go back and complete all the sidequests etc). I'm pretty impressed by how much Square Enix left to do after the game, I've run into quite a lot of enemies (not even bosses/subbosses, just enemies) that are quite significantly stronger than the last few bosses. Because of this, I actually might go back and try and beat them but knowing that I won't get any extra summons/great weapons (every weapon in the game has the capability to become Ultima Weapon, although I'm not sure if Ultima's stats are actually the best) or some extended/special ending to my knowledge makes it seem like a waste of time.