Final Fantasy XIII In Game HD Screenshots

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by InaudibleWhisper, Aug 27, 2008.

1. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    In game HD Screenshots of Final Fantasy XIII:

Wow.
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

3. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No it isn't. They're direct real-time in game renders put up yesterday by IGN. They're all over the web now. It's not hard to tell that they're not CGI. Look closely at flat background/floor textures, and slight jagginess in the hair and eyes. Seriously, take a good look at some of the pictures. Such thing are perfectly smooth and flawless in previous CG images. This is how the game looks while you're playing it, and that is the whole point of the Crystal Tools Engine. "One of the main aspects of the engine is that it allows highly detailed CGI to be rendered in real-time. Nomura has commented that the engine will be able "to recreate battle scenes reminiscent of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children in real-time gameplay." It also handles advanced audio processing, cinematic cut-scene transition with no pause or loading, physics effects calculations and special effects rendering. It aims to achieve near-pre-rendered CGI quality in realtime".

I think this shot best shows off the in-game models and textures. Look at the hair, bracelets and wall textures. Those are 100% not square quality CG renders.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

i still think they are cinematics lol.

screenshots:

1. i guess u can zoom in and it might look like that, but the dialogue, in my opinion, shows that its just a cinematics scene.
    2. looks like they just entered the area, and theyre like "Whoa!" and they look around. and try walking in that view.
    3. looks like an ambush (cinematics again), and then switches to a battle scene and u kill them all.
    4. this is the only one that looks like gameplay to me. but it could be a scene when u just enter the area and theyre showing u the big thing.
    5. dialogue = cinematics
    6. it could be gameplay, but itll be hard to walk.
    7. dialogue = cinematics.
  5. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Have you ever played a Final Fantasy game? The vast, vast majority of scenes and dialogue is in the in-game engine. See example here. Most of the CGI scenes are big action set-pieces with no dialogue. If you're running around the world and then it cuts to a character walking over and talking, the majority of the time it looks the same as the game using the same models and polygons. Only every so often do they cut to a fully rendered cut-scene. So anything that is "at an angle that seems unplayable" or "has dialogue" doesn't mean it is CG rendered at all. In fact it is likely that it isn't. You can blatantly tell if something is CG. It is perfectly rendered with absolutely NO flaws. These shots are jaggier than Final Fantasy X CGI renders so if they were CGI, they'd not only be poor in comparison to what we've seen before, but a step back from a 7 year old game. And as I've said; looking at the detail, the jaggies and the fact that these ARE in-game (As has been confirmed in the tons of news stories on the web about these)... well, they are

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

yea, i have played a FF game lol, but not in a really long time.
    but yea, ur probably right.
    then again, they are still custscenes, u wont be able to look at ur character like in those screens.
    like the first one, that is really close lol
    i dont think ull be able to get that close to the character.

btw, do u no what kind of game itll be? turn based? action (like crisis core)?
    u seem to read about this game a lot lol
  7. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, obviously we won't be getting some of those angles in game but the models and quality of the render will be there. As for the battle system, it is half turn based, half real-time as far as I know. They want each battle to look as epic and smooth as those in Advent Children so I believe as some awesome fight move is being delivered, the options menu pops up at the bottom asking for the next attack and both are stitched together flawlessly to form an unbroken, single fight (i.e. once they've attacked they don't just run back to the 3 person formation stance and stand there waiting. All attacks are joined to form a cinematic looking fight).
  8. JBB

JBB New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    lol i bet there not cinemaics
  9. Zigg47

Zigg47 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    this game looks awesome and i cant wait for it to be released!
  10. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Number 4 (if it is in-game) is epic. I can believe Square could get those graphics from a next gen console. What blows my mind is they're doing it on the xbox 360 which has alot less memory than ps3 CDs.

Either way i can't wait. This is the one game where i don't want to find a bargain, i wanna pay the max retail!! Thats how much they deserve our money.

Edit: Are you guys gonna buy Final fantasy XII: Versus, too?