filesystem browser / file viewer

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by heltoupee, Nov 10, 2008.

1. heltoupee

heltoupee New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've been looking for a quick, nice-looking file browser for a jailbroken 2.1 ipod touch that can function as a viewer for some common file types (JPG, PDF, what-have-you). I'd just about given up, but then I found Files (lite).

Files Lite is available from the App Store. It's got a fairly nice built-in file viewer that handles a surprising number of files. Best of all, the Lite Version is free (although please consider paying the guy for the full version if you find it useful

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

So, install it from AppStore, then fire it up. You'll see a 'Welcome.doc' and a 'Public' folder. now, SSH into your device (as root). We'll need to find out what directory it's installed in. I did this by doing an 'updatedb', then 'locate Welcome.doc'. You're looking for the directory '/private/var/mobile/Applications/[UUID - bunch of letters and numbers]/Documents/Files/'. If locate doesn't work for you, search through all the directories in '/private/var/mobile/Applications/' until you come across one with 'Files lite.app' in it. once you've found it, you need to be in the 'Documents/Files' subfolder. once in the subfolder, do a 'ln --symbolic / ROOT'. This makes a symbolic link (like a shortcut for you Windows guys) in that folder that points to the root of the device. I've named it so the directory will read 'ROOT', but you can change that 'ROOT' to anything you want. Now, go to your device and fire up the Files Lite app. You should see the 'ROOT' directory in the list with the Public folder and the Welcome.doc.

The lite version of the app is limited to 200MB of data in that folder, so I would leave the button marked 'Rebuild Disk Quota' alone

Happy hunting, and I hope this helps all you others out there that just wanted to easily page through all the backgrounds a Winterboard Theme has available (that's why I wanted it.)
  2. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Get MobileFinder from Cydia.
  3. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    or mobile finder from appstore... airshare... icommander... there are many....
  4. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    In my opinion MobileFinder from Cydia is the best. iCommander is horrible and AirShare is just for local files and folders, no system files.
  5. heltoupee

heltoupee New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yes, MobileFinder is great. I can't figure out how to launch a viewer from within it, however. let's say I have a directory full of .PNG's. MobileFinder will show me a thumbnail, but when I double-tap it, it does nothing. There's an 'open with' option in the 'modify' menu, but I can't find anything to actually view the files (tried fileviewer for images and PDF, and MPlayer for video, MobileFinder doesn't seem to pass the filename through). Plus the fact that the 'open with' command closes MobileFinder and opens the other app. if you were looking through an entire directory, it would get cumbersome.

Yes, MobileFinder with an integrated viewer would be ideal. I use it quite a bit. I'll keep digging.
  6. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    true... lol... i use the mobile finder from cydia too... but i cant make it open any pictures or videos... it will onlyshow a thumbnailof the pictures...
  7. heltoupee

heltoupee New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, on firmware 1.X there used to be a MobilePreview app from the same guys that did the MobileFinder app. They must be set up to work together, cause I found them in the file association options on the bottom of the config screen, but I can't find any mention of MobilePreview in Cydia or Installer. Shame...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    So, I dug a little deeper. The guys behind MobileFinder are now selling it as MobileStudio on AppStore. It's basically the functionality I'm looking for; the functionality from the suite of programs on firmware 1.X, except sandboxed, so it wouldn't work for my purposes, unless I set up the same symbolic link as I did with this one. Unfortunately, the preview application doesn't seem to be ported to 2.X yet, so using the MobileFinder the way it was intended pre-SDK is looking like less and less of an option. There's not an enormous amount of code there, so it may be fairly easy to port, but I'm in no position to undertake that (although I would like to; the toolchain's available for Linux, right

).