Filesearch app

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Treidle, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Treidle

Treidle New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    hello, i cant find an app to search for files and to search "in" files.
    I have many .txt files on my ipod touch and I need an app to search for words.
    I have more than 100 latin translations and its not easy to find the rigth, and the Finder and the mobile texteditor cant search for words.
    can anybody help me ? I think its not that hard to make that app... but i´m a noobie

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Hey Treidle,
    If you know the directory of the text files (example: /var/Test.txt) then you could attempt to cd (change directory) to the base directory and supplying code from the Terminal (Term-vt100 application found in Installer). I haven't tried this, but it should work. So, here it goes:

1.) Locate the directory (or base-directory) of the file.
    2.) You can change directory to the base directory (in my case /var) before it, making it easier, by doing cd /var (replace /var with the base directory of your file) but you don't necessarily have to.
    3.) Type: cat /(directory/filename here) | grep <what you're searching for withing the text file>.
    EXAMPLE: cat /var/Test.txt | grep Test would tell me if there is a word 'Test' in the file.

If you're in base directory
    So, if I had cd'ed to the base directory like this :
    cd /var
    Then I would only have to type: cat Test.txt | grep <what I'm looking for>

What does cat do?: Displays the contents of a file.
    What does grep do?: Search file(s) for lines that match a given pattern.
    What does ls do (look further down at my edit)?: List information about file(s)

When you combine cat and grep
    When you combine these two commands, it will print out (show you) all words/text on that line where the searched word was.

Example: There is a file labeled English:German13.txt located in /var/root, within the file there is a line that says red:rot. So, by typing in cat /var/root/English:German13.txt | grep red, it will spit/print/show the whole line red:rot if they're the only words on the line.

NOTICE: These are case-sensitive so make sure the capitals and everything are correct.

EDIT: I would also suggest grouping all the text files in a specific directory so all you need to do is cd to that directory and know the name of the file. Example: I put all my .txt files that I need to search within, inside the directory /System (or create a file [folder] in /System labeled whatever you wish to call it). I come back the next day, need to look through the translation and I just cd to /System (cd /System (or cd /System/<name of folder if you created your own>). Then I can type ls to list all the files within /System(/<name of folder if you created your own>) if I don't already know the file I'm looking for. Then do the above with cat /System/<Name of folder if you created your own>) | grep <what you're searching for>.
  3. kadian215

kadian215 New Member

Jan 23, 2008
  4. RazerM

RazerM New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Care to show us how to search files in MobileFinder?

It can't.