File location of ipod backup made by itunes

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by bridaw, Aug 14, 2008.

1. bridaw

bridaw Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    I can't find where itunes stores the backup of my ipod on mac OS 10.5.4. Anyone know that path off the top of their head, I can't find it on Apple's site or here.

It would be nice if iTunes allowed better management of backups instead of only the last one. The more apps you load the longer it takes to backup so is it making a copy of the installed applications too?

I managed to lose the updated version of Light by not transferring the purchase back to itunes but I'm pretty sure I made a backup in itunes. When I was trying to resolve some issues with my ipod early in the week, iTunes made a few more backups.

I assume it overwrites old ones but I do network backups of my macs every night. I should be able to restore ALL my previous ipod backups this way. I can try restoring an older backup in hopes of finding the updated version of light. It worked really well. I wish I heard it was yanked sooner, I would have made sure I transfered the updated version and kept it safe.
  2. chaos theory

chaos theory New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    very late replie, but i was looking for this myself and i found it.

login name>library>application support>mobilesync>backup

or something

-CT

P.s. for anyone needing this, on windows it's: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
  3. swim23

swim23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Kinda old topic but I would like to know something. I found the backup files but what do I do with them? There's a bunch of folders with a billion (exaggerating but who knows, I'm not counting) files a few info.plist files. How can I restore settings on my iPod touch with these? Or is it supposed to be a ipsw file?
  4. yashrg

yashrg Member

Thanks but among all that jibberish, there is no way I can restore the data of my ipod except for what itunes shows me. I was hoping I would be able to get the ipod backup of a week ago vs just 15 minutes ago.
    Anyways.
  5. huidaman

huidaman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Its good for migrating from one computer to another when itunes asks you to erase everything. You can just use your backup.
  6. joethetechie

joethetechie New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Multipul iPod Backups

I have had this same problem but I have an easy solution. On my Mac HD, I had about 6 folders and all together, there was about 20,000 files which were taking up over 2GB of space.
    My solution is this:
    If you go the location of the backup [login name>library>application support>mobilesync>backup ], drag all the folders to the trash and empty the trash. This removes all the backups. Then plug in your iPod, wait for it to appear in iTunes, and when it does, right click it then select [Backup]. This will backup all current content on your iPod and a new folder with the backup data will be made in the same location mentioned above!

Hope this helped

Joe

http://joethetechiepspwii.wordpress.com
  7. silicajen

silicajen New Member

There are chances of making backup of iPod files on iTunes. From here I can come to know about all the details related with the process. Thanks for this forum. Here this is really beneficial to know about the iPod backup process. From here I have got high benefits for using this. Even I had shared information with others.

Please Register or Log in to view images

http://www.ipodbackup.info
  8. jasikajohnson

jasikajohnson New Member

File location of I-pod backup made by I-tunes,If you go the location of the backup login name>library>application support>mobile synch>backup, drag all the folders to the trash and empty the trash. This removes all the backups. Then plug in your I-Pod, wait for it to appear in I-Tunes, and when it does, right click it then select Backup. This will backup all current content on your I-Pod and a new folder with the backup data will be made in the same location you choose,this will help you.
  9. poproxmimo3

poproxmimo3 Member

Where does itunes back up the iPad files on a Windows 7 computer? I checked the BSOD folder, its not there. lol
    I want to delete all the back up data or what not
  10. bkribbs

bkribbs Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The one in post 2 or 3 is right