fighting with openvpn

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by paulo_andre, Sep 1, 2009.

1. paulo_andre

paulo_andre New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I recently got an iPod touch and I wanted to be able to access the internet at the office. The problem is we use a proxy with authentication and apparently the only app that works well with it is safari.

So I started to search for alternatives and I got an idea:
    Connect the iPod to wi-fi. From there, connect to my virtual machine (on the company laptop) by pptp vpn (windows xp). In the virtual machine, start openvpn to my home server and have internet without proxy.

I can do almost everything... except connecting both vpn's. The iPod connects to the virtual machine, gets an ip and everything. the virtual machine connects to my home server and gets internet without proxy, but the pptp vpn can't communicate through the openvpn interface.

Does anyone know a way to make this work?
  2. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can connect the iPod to a VPN by using the iPhone Configuration Utility (I think).
    Im pretty sure, but Im not too too sure.

Just google the iPhone Configuration Utility and the first result will lead you to apple.com, and say something about Enterprise.
  3. paulo_andre

paulo_andre New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yes, and I also configured the vpn manually, that is not the problem, the problem is getting to the internet after connecting to the vpn on the laptop.
    ...or a way to fix the authentication proxy...
  4. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    On the virtual XP machine, install a wireless internet adapter (unless theres one installed), and bridge the connection you have on your comp. over wi-fi to your iPod?
  5. ita93

ita93 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    try using "hotspot shield" as VPN to access all restriction , and i guess it bypasses the proxies too. XD
  6. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Id follow ita's advice.

I really dont know much about VPNS and proxies.
    Im behind a Comcast DHCP modem and a Belkin router, that are all on DHCP, I really didnt do anything to set it up.

I had to set up my neighbor's Verizon DSL (PPOE), to work with their router, which ended up taking me like 6 hrs, so im not really the "go-to-guy" for this kind of stuff.

I'll try to help you out, though (as best as I can).
  7. ita93

ita93 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    this program/setting i use on my laptop and my ipod too to over pass Qatar's restrictions (don't let your mind go far, i use it for *******s.) so it will work , i know about computers and internet a lot so u can try my advice, nothing to lose.
  8. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thats what I always say.
  9. paulo_andre

paulo_andre New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    thanks, but I tried and it didn't work... all internet access is blocked unless I go through the proxy. That's why I need to connect to the laptop (internal network, no need for proxy) then connect to my openvpn (through the proxy).
    if only there was an openvpn version for iphone OS...
  10. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Why isnt your work internet normal?

Lol.