Few Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TripleH13, Oct 13, 2007.

1. TripleH13

TripleH13 New Member

Hey Guys,

I am planning to get an ipod touch in a few days and Just have a few Questions. When I buy the ipod touch would it be smart to buy the apple protection plan? I know a lot of people said with the 80gb ipod etc it would be a good idea becuase the battery would die in a little over a year. Is this gonna be the case with the Ipod touch is well?

Secondly does the Ipod protection plan cover the Ipod touches?

Thirdly if I plan to Jailbreak my Ipod would I still be covered under warranty?

Edit
    one more question, lets say I have jailbroken my ipod and apple sends out a new update what will happen?
  2. Beemer

Beemer New Member

I have always heard those protection plans, on most tech gadgets, are a waste of money. Just be careful with your iPod. The plan should cover the touch - I dont know why it wouldn't.

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere on the forum that it does break your warranty, but if something went wrong you could always just restore your iPod back to factory settings if possible so they wouldn't know.
  3. TripleH13

TripleH13 New Member

ok thanks man, I really appreciate.
    BTW I have one more question, lets say I have jailbroken my ipod and apple sends out a new update what will happen?
  4. dpople

dpople New Member

No way of knowing however when you look at what happened to iPhone in its last update you can be almost assured jailbreak will break again
  5. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It doesn't matter if it breaks, as long as it doesn't get bricked and can be restored. Apple Protection Plans are really useless. If it really was broken so easily and so quickly, just get an RMA. The thing about their protection plan is that when you send it back to them, they will simply send you a refurbished unit, and not truly a brand new one. Take the warranty for example, when someone sends in their touch for a repair, Apple Care repairs and sends it back to them. However, someone else sends in their touch for a replacement, they get a touch back with the identical serial number as their old one.
  6. dpople

dpople New Member

Although i doubt there will ever be a jailbreak that carries over firmware updates i hate the idea of redoing everything each time an update is out which knowing apple will be every month or so.

Reminds me to much of reinstalling every UImod on WoW at each patch...
  7. TripleH13

TripleH13 New Member

ok thanks for all the info guys. So I guess everytime there is a new update we have to decline it and wait for that fireware to be jailbroken. Then restore it and do the same process again with the new firmware?
  8. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes. Or else you'd risk bricking yours...
    And yes, it will void your warranty... assuming Apple doesn't do any recordings of your edits and call homes with iTunes, I'd say you're safe though... Just restore it before sending it back. This is the post I wrote about the warranty which might be what was referred to above: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2038
  9. JohnR

JohnR New Member

Applecare for the iPod Touch is only $59.

That is not a bad price at all for an extra 2 years of coverage. I would get the Applecare on the iPod simply for the fact that it's a 1st generation device, so something could go wrong with it. And it gives you telephone support past the 90 days.
  10. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    its $69 for us Canadians up here even though the exchange rate is 1 CAD = 1.02383 USD right now *sigh* And not to mention, we don't get free shipping until we hit order with $75 or more...