Few jb questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by chris96, May 25, 2009.

1. chris96

chris96 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    From what i understand:
    quickpwn = redsn0w = non custom fw
    quickfreedom = custom fw, non quickpwn method
    Therefore, as one is non custom fw and one is, there ARE differences in the final product of the jb.

Are my understandings correct? What are the benefits of making a custom fw over using redsn0w (i.e. what can you customise)?

I read somewhere that there are 3 main credible jb methods, they said redsn0w/quickpwn, and quickfreedom, but they didn't mention the 3rd. What is the 3rd method?
    Also I read that 24kpwn was redsnow or quickfreedom, i cant remember which. I this true?
    What are pwnagetool and redtool? Are they just for already tethered jb itouches?

new: I also read somewhere that quickfreedom is no longer supported by the author? is that true?
    They also said that redsn0w and redtool are the only good choices for a jb now.

If you can answer these, thanks a ton, but if you have weblinks that explain them that would be useful as well.
    If possible, could someone in a timezone close to gmt+10 give me their msn, or we could use
    HTML:
    http://www.chatzy.com/quick.htm
    and they could help explain these to me?

Once again, a big thank you to anyone who helps

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. JailBreakerUK

JailBreakerUK New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just use QuickFreedom, the best of the lot.
  3. cjschriver3

cjschriver3 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i'll keep it short and simple, go here...

redsn0w.com

quickfreedom had a gui version before the offical redsn0w was ready so some people still have it but redsn0w is definitely the better of the 2 options.

when you use the redsn0w you break you will lose NONE of your current data, ie: no resync necessary. While quickfreedom allows you to choose a new bootlogo and builds it into your custom FW, you can only do this once, i think. The redsn0w will allow you to use LogoMe from Cydia and change your bootlogo whenever you want. I used both. i started with the quickfreedom, and it works fine, but when the redsn0w was ready, i just ran it right on top of my quickfreedom jb, didn't even restore first. its's easy and does all the work for you in 5 min. provided you can successfully get into DFU mode.

sorry bout the short and simple, i got carried away

go redsn0w 0.3 -- 2.2.1 fw
  4. shiben589

shiben589 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    that thread you read that told you about quickfreedom and the only two options was mine, and it is correct

quickfreedom is no longer supported by its creator, and has caused problems for multiple users

redtool is the thrid tool, and is like quickfreedom, but has a great gui, doesnt screw up your ipod, but still makes you restore

for you i would reccommend downloading redsn0w, which is essentially quickpwn (a dev team (credible source) jailbreak tool) for the 2g, it will work to transfer you to untethered, and all you will need to do is put your ipod into DFU mode and double click redsn0w

download here: redsn0w.com
  5. chris96

chris96 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok thanks for the help again

Please Register or Log in to view images

So now, essentially what i want to do is compare the advantages/disadvantages of redsn0w/redtool.

1. Im not worried about a resync. My ipod will be clean before a jb.
    2. im not worried about taking longer.
    3. im not worried about it being more difficult
    4. I would like to know what the customisation options are when using redtool. I.e. there is a logo changer, is that the same as quickfreedom and you would have to re-restore do change the logo again using this?
  6. redsn0wshoes

redsn0wshoes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    just use redsn0w, for the umpteenth time. logome will cover you on logos, and its the easiest of them all. if youre already jb'ed, youll wanna restore to original firmware first.
  7. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i agree that redsn0w is easier (having used both QF + redsn0w) but if you want to change the boot logo you can use either. in Qf you just click and it creates a NOR firmware that flashes your Firmware but leaving everything else untouched, EASY!
  8. chris96

chris96 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hummmmmm.
    i understand redsn0w is easier, but i really want to know the advantages of making your own custom firmware using redtool or qf. if there are any i wont mind taking some extra time..
    unrelated: from what it says on this thread
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170810
    it makes it sound as if you must use redsn0w to use logome. that true?
    edit: found that that is true. so logome is only for redsn0w. and to change boot logo on qf and rtool they have some inbuilt NOR firmware thing. got that. still, are there any advantages of qf or redtool?