Few General and JBing Questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DeltaBurnt, May 31, 2009.

1. DeltaBurnt

DeltaBurnt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok so I'm planning on getting an iTouch (not an iPhone since the plan is too expensive and I don't need another phone frankly). I have a few questions in general and about jailbreaking:

1. Is it worth it to get a 2g (as in worth it I mean possibly spending a little more money)? Is a 2g harder to jailbreak?

2. Will the 3.0 firmware eventually be free? I honestly don't see why apple would expect us to pay for a firmware update. Does 2.0 cost money aswell?

3. Does the iTouch have a microphone or is that only on the iPhone?

4. I've heard that's it's impossible to brick when soft modding your iTouch because you can recover. Is this true? And is it really 100%?

5. I was thinking of just selling my 30GB Zune on ebay to help pay for the iTouch I'm planning to get. Should I also get my iTouch off ebay? I mean I don't have a problem with ebay I'm just asking if there's any place else I could get a good deal on an iTouch.

6. When I jailbreak and add custom apps do they show up on the main menu or do I have to use an app browser.

7. At this point in time is it possible to get 1st Party apps from apple while having a jail broken iTouch? Did someone hack it to the point where you could? It seems that when I read it that having a JB iTouch makes it so that you can only not connect to iTunes but still go on the app store. Am I correct with that? Or is it that you couldn't/can't connect to both?

8. (Noob Question Alert) Is the wifi internet on the iTouch like the iPhone/other phones where you get internet every where and have to pay a subscription? Does it just connect to routers? Or can you have the option of both?

9. Can you only sync music and videos via iTunes or can you do it through any syncing device such as Winamp?

10. How big do apps ussually get because I want to try and get an 8 GB iTouch meaning I'll need 1-2 GBs for songs and then a couple GBs for movies and episodes of Bleach. So having apps be like 200 MBs might be a problem.

EDIT:
    Additional Question,

11. Does the 2g iTouch come with firmware 2.0?

Thanks in advance ^^
  2. SooperG

SooperG New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Oh wow, quite a bit to work with here...
    1. I personally believe that it's either way with spending extra money on a 2g. All it has is a built in speaker and volume control on the side. Plus its a bit sleeker. I don't know if that's worth 50 bucks.
    2. 2.0 is free, but as for 3.0, NO IDEA.
    3. Ummm, I don't think that it has a microphone.
    4. No idea, never happened to me.
    5. I would sell the Zune to raise some money, and yeah, you should try and get an iPod on eBay. Got mine from there, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just make sure it's in new condition, not used. Who knows what could be wrong with it.
    6. Some apps show up on the Springboard, other don't, cuz they're Terminal apps and run internally.
    7. No, you CAN get apps with a jailbroken device. Just use the mobile app store from your ipod, and enter your itunes details from there.
    8. Ipod touch uses a WiFi from a router and does NOT get it everywhere. It's not 3G like the iphone.
    9. I believe you can sync music with something other than itunes.
    10. If you're getting apps that are like, Need for Speed, then you're screwed. But, if the apps you're getting aren't like that, you're fine. Games usually take up more room that other apps, like utility apps, but don't take too much room.
    11. Uhh, Yeah?
  3. DeltaBurnt

DeltaBurnt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok thanks a bunch! (that's meant to be in a non-sarcastic way)
  4. pieceofsummer

pieceofsummer Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    2/ 2.0 never was free. If you've got 1.x pre-installed, then updating to 2.x will cost you ten bucks. The same thing with 3.0, it's going to be sold for ten bucks.
    9/ you could sync with whatever you want, but you still need iTunes installed.
    10/ I don't see any reason to take 8GB since there are 16 and 32GB models.
  5. DeltaBurnt

DeltaBurnt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You do know that the 32 GB models go for atleast 350 dollars on ebay while the 8 GB models are like 180-200?
  6. SooperG

SooperG New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I got a 16 gig for a solid $180. Try Craigslist. I think it's worth getting a larger ipod. They fill kinda quickly.
  7. DeltaBurnt

DeltaBurnt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Craigslist eh? But the 16 GB you got...was it a 1g? And was it also used? Cause the 8 GBs I'm looking at are 2G and new.

I'll look on craigslist though, thanks.
  8. korvmannen

korvmannen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    • 1. I think the 2G is worth the extra cash because of the better performance, speaker, battery life. Don't worry, both are equally simple to jailbreak. Just hit a few buttons.

2. I highly doubt it

3. It doesn't

4. well, technically, it's impossible. but Things can happen. I can't guarantee 100%

5. If you find it cheaper then go ahead.

6. jailbroken software show on the springboard as any app

7. yes it is

8. Think of the internet on the ipod as on a laptop. Connect to routers.

9. mostly it's only iTunes, but there are some specialized software out there.

10. app size can vary. some are 0.5mb, some are 100mb+.

11. it does come with 2.0 or higher
  9. DeltaBurnt

DeltaBurnt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok thanks for the reply korvmannen!

Ok so I got alot less birthday money than expected because of the fact that my brother graduated 1 day before my birthday and all my relatives gave him like 100 dollar bills :\

So I'm guessing unless I get around 100 dollars for my used 30 gig zune I'm going to have to get a used iPod Touch. Has anyone here bought a used iPod Touch? Does the touch screen ever come unresponsive over time, because I don't want to buy a used one and it be not working partially...