faster way to convert .avi to mp4

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by droppeddime, Oct 11, 2009.

1. droppeddime

droppeddime New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi guys,

Just got a new 3g 32gb touch today.

First off taking forever for it to sync, i have almost 20 gig's of music to sync. looks like it will take hours.

Second, and most important to me... a big reason i bought the touch was so i could watch some movies on it in the car etc on long road trips. anyways, i have a lot of .avi movie files that are all about 700mb in size. I have found numerous programs to convert .avi's to mp4 files so they can be played on my touch. the problem is, every program i try takes forever to convert the file. For example: one movie file i have is 800mb... when i set it up to convert it will take 8 hours!

SO.. is there a quicker way, or a much faster program?
    anyone have any tips?

Thank you in advance for any replies!
  2. Topper59

Topper59 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I use Ultra MP4 Video Converter. It can convert anything into anything. Seriously, I haven't come across a format it doesn't recognize. As for speed, you can choose the quality of the video so you can have less quality if you need space and lower qualities will convert faster.
  3. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Encoding time depends mainly on your processor's speed.

"Faster" programs cost money and most of them are usually disappointing. Freeware alternatives use x264 which is a bit slower but a very very good codec. A good freeware example would be XviD4PSP (which can also encode for iPhone/iPod touch, Xbox, PS3, etc).

PS: You could also download them already converted at a much smaller filesize with BluRay/DVD-R sources but we would be dwelling into piracy and that is a no-no on these forums.
  4. The_Guitar_Hero

The_Guitar_Hero New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I recommend Handbrake. It has an iPod touch preset and for me, movies take about half an hour to convert.

But it really just depends on how fast your pc is. Be patient and you could set up a queue to convert overnight.
  5. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I recommend Videora. I converted a 80 minute, 2.5gb, mpeg2 file to a 252mb, high-quality, mpeg4 (mp4) in less than an hour.