Faster Speeds SSH'ing without a WiFi Router

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by spikejr, Oct 31, 2007.

1. spikejr

spikejr New Member

So, many of you have probably thought of this all ready but I couldn't find any posts on it in the forum. Most of the time when you want to access your iPod Touch's directory via SSH or SFTP to install new apps or whatever, you have to go through a wireless router. Well, if you ever have the urge to backup your whole iPoT's directory, you'll find that depending on your connection and router, transfers average about 120-150 kbps, and if you have 8GB or 16GB, that can take a while.

HOWEVER... If you have a MacBook or a PowerBook you can very easily create a Local Network by going to your AirPort Icon on the menu bar and selecting "Create Network." Name it whatever you'd like. Then, in settings on your iPoT, WiFi, choose that network instead of your router's. The transfer speed between your iPoT and your Mac will TRIPLE! Mine averaged about 350kbps which will reduce the time it takes to make a backup copy of your directory by more than a third. In addition, the connection seems to be a bit more secure in theory and more stable too.

It's not just for backing up too. Use it any time you want to SSH into your iPoT. Just remember that the IP for your iPoT will have changed to something different than the usual 192.168.X.XXX.

Hope someone finds this useful, let me know. Especially if you don't have a wireless router for some reason.

PS: Perhaps other WiFi cards/Laptops can also do this too... but I just have experience with my PowerBook G4, hence the specificity to Macs.

Thanks to aesikes for informing me that you CAN have internet too if you enable sharing.
  2. aesikes

aesikes New Member

Faster SSH with wifi router AND INTERNET

hey dude great post, but you can still have internet as long as ur mac is connected to the internet. all you have to do is go into the sharing menu under system prefs, check the box on the right that says internet sharing. then choose your ethernet as what you want to share and then choose your airport as what to share with and then boom blazing internet and ssh for your ipod.
  3. spikejr

spikejr New Member

Awesome

Great... Thanks for that addition. I thought that was possible, but had never actually done it myself. Thanks.