[FAQ] Keyboard Freezing

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by planetbeing, May 7, 2008.

1. planetbeing

planetbeing New Member

Why does this happen?

Installer has "setuid" permissions, which means it executes as root. It is the only application on SpringBoard that executes as root. On a freshly restored iPod/iPhone, none of the databases for things like keyboard autocomplete have been created. If Installer is the first thing that you run on your iPod touch, it will create databases owned by root. However, because they are owned by root, and every other application (including the application that manages keyboard autocomplete!) runs as "mobile", none of the other applications will be able to read those databases. What happens is that they discover that they can't read those databases, try to change the permissions on those databases, fail, try again, over and over in an endless loop. That's why the iPod freezes.

If you read this, you should be able to deduce the answers to the rest of the FAQ, including how to fix the issue. But here it is anyway:

In 1.1.3, why did it happen for Dev Team's release but not natetrue's?

Because natetrue's release runs everything as mobile. All applications will naturally be able to read and write everything, so the crash condition is no longer there. However, running everything as root is unwise in the long run for obvious reasons.

I used ZiPhone/iLiberty/something else in the past. It did not freeze the keyboard. Why does PwnageTool have this problem?

That's because you were actively using your device before you used the jailbreak apps, meaning the correct files were already created with the correct permissions. Those files do not exist on a freshly restored device (like PwnageTool generates), which is why Installer creates them with the incorrect permissions.

I used ZiPhone/iLiberty/something else in the past. It did not freeze the keyboard. After using PwnageTool, I restored and used ZiPhone, etc. again. Why doesn't the problem go away?

Because this time, you ARE using those apps on a freshly restored device. =P It's not that they don't "have" the same "problem", it's that the problem was not visible to you until the correct situation arose.

What can I do to fix this?

DO NOT RUN INSTALLER THE FIRST THING AFTER YOU RESTORE. First, go type some stuff in contacts, play a song. That will initialize all the databases properly. After that, you can use Installer, which will then use the already created databases (readable by both mobile and root) instead of creating them, and everyone will be happy.

If your device has already started freezing, you will have to restore unless you want to use the advanced method. Typing stuff in contacts won't fix the problem if it's already started (for reasons that should be obvious to you if you read the rest of the FAQ).

How can I fix this problem without restoring?

In OpenSSH, if you can install it, type this: chown -R mobile:wheel /private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook

Can't these jailbreak apps automatically include the fix for you?

Well, no, because we can't be sure the AddressBook is the only thing that has the issue (at least, yet). I've had experiences where no music would play as well. Best bet is to mess with you device for awhile before running Installer.
    3 people like this.
  2. EvolvedFire

EvolvedFire Banned

Didnt bother to read your post, here is a solution that ALWAYS works

Get ziphone
    Hit the jailbreak button, yes i know its already jailbroken
    Then when its done open settings/anywhere with a keyboard that isnt installer

ALWAYS WORKS
  3. planetbeing

planetbeing New Member

Heh. I really can't believe you have the gall to post something like "didn't bother to read your post". And do you know why your method works? My post is meant to teach people something.

It's foolish to do something without knowing what you're doing; people like you really frustrate me.
    1 person likes this.
  4. x6blues

x6blues New Member

Thanks for posting this. I think this is the first post/thread to ever go into full detail of the problem, give a solution, and more.

Mods please sticky this

btw, he is a member of the iPhone Dev Team I believe, so he knows more than probably anyone on this entire forum.
  5. hockeypanda32

hockeypanda32 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes sticky this, PlanetBeing is part of the iPhone Dev Team also, go to there wiki and look, thanks a lot and i hope you continue to help around here more.
  6. OneFan

OneFan Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I have a thread exactly like this except it 2x shorter

Please Register or Log in to view images

If you want go check mine out

Please Register or Log in to view images

Btw nice post!

+1 rep
  7. x6blues

x6blues New Member

Reason being this gives a reason to why it happens with an actual explanation, alternative fix, and a hell of a lot more info.
  8. opsguy

opsguy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you planetbeing for the great explanation and fix.

Most appreciated
  9. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, I had this problem but I had just restored and used iLiberty and it worked.

xD

Good FAQ though, and +rep for you!
  10. mit

mit New Member

thx very much planet !!!
    Not only fix this problem but understand what the problem is