[FAQ&GUIDE]Common 1.1.3 errors explained and fixed!

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by kevipapo1, Feb 10, 2008.

1. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

[FAQ&GUIDE]Common 1.1.3 errors explained and fixed!(UPDATE: MAKING A PDF)

Common 1.1.3 errors explained and fixed

UPDATED: Friday, February 22 2008 - "Added 1.4 Patching up your 1.1.3 JB"

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT RESPONSIBLE for ANY damage done to your iPod. All the information in this guide is to be used AT YOUR RISK! Don't come running to me and saying "zOMFG, U BR0X0RZ MY 1P0D!!!!!!!!!11!!!ELEVEN!!!1!!!111!11". Also, I'm not responsible for ANY LEGAL ISSUES!!! I'm leaning towards the January App Pack and ROM downloads. Remember: "Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy." -JOSEPH CAMPBELL

README: This tutorial covers often-seen issues with 1.1.3, such as iPhysics levelpacks, BossTool Applications moving errors, the Spinning Ring of Death, and so on and so forth. Not all problems have fixes, so be prepared to Restore sometimes (yes, the idea of having to do a Restore gives you the jibblies, doesn't it). I'll give you my definition of brick, so if yours is worse you don't crap your pants: a brick is when a device becomes useless, and to be fixed must be revived somehow (in our case usually with a Restore).

Please Register or Log in to view images

Table of Contents

1. Pre-Jailbreak Instructions
    1.1 A Checklist​
    1.2 Which jailbreak do I do?​
    1.3 Jailbreaking 1.1.3​
    1.4 Patching up your 1.1.3 JB​
    2. After 1.1.3 Jailbreak fixes
    2.1 iPhysics levelpacks not showing up in iPhysics​
    2.2 BossTool won't move my Applications folder​
    2.3 Term-vt100 asking for password, "alpine" doesn't work​
    2.4 January App Pack for free​
    2.5 Spinning Ring of Death (SRoD)​
    2.6 3rd Party Apps not saving info (SIP-VoIP, TTR, etc.)​
    2.7 Apollo Fix​
    3. Downgrading
    3.1 Downgrade to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2​

1. Pre-Jailbreak Instructions

1.1 A Checklist

Before you begin jailbreaking 1.1.3 there's some things you need first:

-A jailbroken iPod Touch running 1.1.2 firmware
    -BSD Subsystem 1.5 or higher
    -Settings > General > Auto-Lock > Never
    -20 minutes to 1.5 hours of time on your hands

As stated above the jailbreak can take from 20 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on your internet. The jailbreak consists of downloading the 1.1.3 iPod Software (IPSW), extracting it, downloading the patch, applying the patch to the fimrware, applying the patch to SpringBoard, and installing the 1.1.3 firmware. A lengthy process indeed, and you can thank all the devs out there who made it possible, but let's stay on track here.

The following changes will happen once the JB is finished:

-All apps will be lost
    -All settings will be lost
    -All previous hacks will be lost, etc.

Basically everything will be lost, as if you just restored your iPod, except now you're running jailbroken 1.1.3 on your device.

So, now that you have met all the prerequisites let's continue...

1.2 Which jailbreak do I do?

As you might have noticed there's TONS of different 1.1.3 jailbreaks our there. In this sea of jailbreaks there's three different kinds:

-Nate True's Jailbreak w/ Computer (cre.ations.net)
    -iJailBreakMobile w/o Computer (iJailBreak.com)
    -DevTeam jailbreak w/o Computer (iphone.fiveforty.net [DOWN])
    -Zibri's TRUE Jailbreak w/ Computer (ZiPhone's Blog)

I'll try to explain each method the best I can:

Nate True's Jailbreak w/ Computer AKA iBrickr: On my Mac I've never been able to get it to work, but a friend of mine used it for his jailbreak and it's been working great ever since. It creates symlinks in the root filesystem, which can cause errors when the SDK Apps start coming out. It's best to leave the root filesystem intact as much as you can. IMO could be better.

iJailBreakMobile w/o Computer: I wasn't able to get it to work, and neither were tons of other people here on the iPod Touch Fans forums. It's Nate True's jailbreak, except you don't need to use a computer, and it's no better than iBrickr. IMO Epic Fail!

DevTeam Jailbreak w/o Computer: I was able to get the DevTeam jailbreak to work, and it's the most preferred method at these forums. Out of the other jailbreaks it has the highest success rate. You have a good chance not screwing anything up if you do this jailbreak for 1.1.3. It runs as an app, and has a GUI updating you of the percentage progress of each step. IMO the best.

Zibri's Jailbreak w/ Computer: ZiPhone is a TRUE jailbreak. What's the difference? All the other 1.1.3 Jailbreaks consist of hacking your device whilst updating. ZiPhone actually attacks the firmware straight on, so you don't need to have jailbroken 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 before jailbreaking 1.1.3. ZiPhone also works with 1.1.4.

I think I have an idea of what jailbreak you're going to do now. The DevTeam one, right? No? Ok, but stuff in my guide might have a different consequence, since all of this has been tested on a 1.1.3 DevTeam Jailbreak.

1.3 Jailbreaking 1.1.3

Make sure that you've read the checklist (Chapter 1.1) and that all the requirements are met. Once you have checked it jailbreak 1.1.3 by following these steps:

1. Open Installer and go to System.
    2. Install the "Official 1.1.3 Upgrader" package.
    3. If you haven't already done this step, go to All Packages and install "BSD Subsystem".
    4. If you haven't already done this step, quit Installer, go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock > Never.
    5. Connect to your wireless network.
    6. Run Upgrader.app on your Home Screen.
    7. When prompted about a Restore, choose Yes.
    8. Come back in 20 minutes to 1.5 hours and it should be done.

You should now have 1.1.3 JB firmware on your iPod. Enjoy it

1.4 Patching your 1.1.3 JB

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Let's make sure that doesn't happen by fixing up some issues that may come your way. This list will grow as other stuff comes in. I'm mostly going to post stuff that lowers the chances or makes it easier to fix a brick, hopefully without having to Restore.

OpenSSH at reboot:

From what I've had people telling me this will start SSH at bootup. This allows you to connect to your iPod through SSH immediately at boot, even if you have the SRoD (something I don't understand, since you need Network Services up and running as well). This has been untested, so I'm not sure it works, but I've heard success stories, so who knows? I don't see how this can brick your iPod, but as always, at your own risk:

1. Open Installer and go to All Packages
    2. Look for OpenSSH and install it. If you don't have it look around on the forums for the source to get it. Also, try to get the official version (signs of it being official are that the name of the package is OpenSSH, nothing else, and getting it from an author like ModMyiFone.com is probably not official)
    3. Now, install BossPrefs, also found in the All Packages category
    4. Open BossPrefs and set OpenSSH on reboot to On. If you don't have that option look for it in Installer (once again the All Packages category). You should find a whole group of addons for BossPrefs in the B's.

Not the next time you get the SRoD you should be able to SSH into your iPod (that includes the root filesystem) and fix the error you're having. They usually occur when you change the password from something else other than alpine or applying a theme in SummerBoard.

Reset your settings:

Unless there's some big setting you changed you may as well, as this usually fixes most problems with playing purchased music on your iPod. I suppose you don't really need to do this unless necessary, but for those who want to...Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Also Reset your Network Settings and Keyboard Dictionary if you want to go all out. It's usually for the better, but ignore this if you don't want to go through the hassle of puting it all back to what it was.
  2. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

2. After 1.1.3 Jailbreak fixes

2.1 iPhysics levelpacks not showing up in iPhysics

If you go into iPhysics and your levelpacks aren't showing up, that probably means that the levelpacks are installing in the wrong place for 1.1.3. You see, in 1.1.3 applications don't get root access. Even worse, the iPhysics levelpacks regularly install at /private/var/root/Media/iPhysics...To fix the issue we're going to make a symlink from /private/var/root/Media to /private/var/mobile/Media, where Apps are allowed permission:

Automatic method:

1. Go to the Sources tab in Installer, tap Edit in the upper-right hand corner, then Add in the upper-left
    2. When prompted to do so, type .us/index.xml, so the whole line should look like the following: http://.us/index.xml
    3. Refresh your Sources (it should probably do this automatically)
    4. Once sources have been refreshed go to Install > AlliPodHacks Software > Fix Jailbreak Symlinks 3
    5. Respring (should happen when you quit Installer) and enjoy!

However, when I tried the Automatic method I got the main script execution failed, so nothing came of it. I prefer the Manual Method, but at least try the Automatic Method to see if it works.

Manual Method:

1. SSH into your iPod (if you do not know how search the forums) or open term-vt100. If you are prompted for a password, then the password should be alpine
    2. Run the following commands:

Code:
      cp -R /private/var/root/Media /private/var/mobile/
      Code:
      rm -r /private/var/root/Media
      Code:
      ln -s /private/var/mobile/Media /private/var/root/Media

Now open iPhysics and see if your levelpacks are there. Still not there? Well, this is a different issue. When you install levelpacks for iPhysics they have incorrect permissions to be shown in iPhysics. There's another fix for that, too, and it has an Automatic and Manual Method as well. However, if you used the Automatic method previously to make the symlink you don't need to follow steps 1 through 3:

Automatic Method:

1. Go to the Sources tab in Installer, tap Edit in the upper-right hand corner, then Add in the upper-left
    2. When prompted to do so, type .us/index.xml, so the whole line should look like the following: http://.us/index.xml
    4. Once sources have been refreshed go to Install > AlliPodHacks Software > Fix iPhysics Levelpacks, Use If Created Symlinks

I prefer the Automatic Method, as it worked for me. As always, though, attempt the Automatic Method before the Manual Method, unless you like doing it manually more than through Installer.

Manual Method:

1. SSH into your iPod (if you do not know how search the forums) or open term-vt100. If you are prompted for a password, then the password should be alpine

Code:
      /bin/chmod -R 755 /private/var/mobile/Media/iPhysics

There, now go back into iPhysics. Your levelpacks should be showing.

NOTE: When you install a new iPhysics levelpack or update a previous one, rerun the "Fix iPhysics Levelpacks" package you installed from Installer, or rerun the command given in the Manual Method.

If you still don't see your levelpacks, make sure you're running the latest version of iPhysics, and that you installed the latest version of the levelpack. If all else fails ask for support from another knowledgeable person at these forums.

2.2 BossTool won't move my Applications folder

So, you tried to move your Applications folder with BossTool, but it still says "Move Applications". What's up with that?! Once again, the good old issue with Apps not being granted root access is in our way once more! At this point the only way to do it is manually:

Code:
      mkdir /private/var/Applications
      Code:
      ln -s /private/var/Applications /Applications
      Code:
      mv /Applications/ /private/var/Applications
      If the mv command doesn't work and gives you an error, try this:

Code:
      cp -R /Applications/* /private/var/Applications
      Now let's finish up the whole process by running:

Code:
      rm -rf /Applications/
    3. Respring (reboot) just to be safe

There! Now go back to BossTool and see if it says "Move Applications" or "Apps already moved". If it says the latter great! It worked! If it still says "Move Applications" try going through the process once more. If you had a /private/var/Applications folder before you ran the commands remove it:

Code:
    rm -r /private/var/Applications
    If all else fails ask for support from another knowledgeable person at these forums.

2.3 Term-vt100 asking for password, "alpine" doesn't work

So you've installed term-vt100, but whenever you open it it asks for a password. What is the password?! Well, the password it's asking for is the root password, which is alpine. Always use this password when prompted for one, unless it's an account you created and you know better

But what if you put in alpine and it doesn't work? Well, the password hasn't changed, it's still alpine, but there's some issues with the SUID (Super User Identification). To fix the issue all we need to do is install a package from Installer:

2. When prompted to do so, type trejan.com/irepo, so the whole line should look like the following: http://trejan.com/irepo
    4. Once sources have been refreshed go to Install > Tweaks (1.1.3), and install "SUID Lib Fix" and "Term-vt100 SUID fix"

Now try opening Term-vt100 and see if entering the password alpine works now. It should. If it doesn't work check to see that you have the latest version of Term-vt100, and the latest version of the SUID fixes you just installed. If all else fails ask for support from another knowledgeable person at these forums.

2.4 January App Pack for free

Heh, is this totally legal to post? I need an answer from the Mods, then I'll post it or not.
    1 person likes this.
  3. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

2.5 Spinning Ring of Death (SRoD)

What happened? Did you try running the command passwd? Did you install a SummerBaord theme that broke it? *GASP*! You weren't playing around with the root filesystem, were you?!

Well whatever you or your iPod did, you're stuck with a spinning circle that will never stop! Also known as the Spinning Ring of Death (SRoD as I like to say), this little nuissance is just Apple's way of telling you that it can't get SpringBoard up and running. In other words, your iPod is bricked.

Now, this method only works if you have OpenSSH turned on. Also, OpenSSH must be booting up at reboot, a setting that can be applied through BossPrefs. You can't do this if you already have the SRoD though, so if you're reading this and you don't have these options set, just remember to set them the next time you jailbreak 1.1.3. I'll note this in the 1st chapter as well.

So, if you have the prerequisites stated above, SSH into your iPod and find the issue. What did you do before you got the SRod? Did you change a theme with SummerBoard? Move the Applications folder? Whetever you last did, you can probably fix it by removing something or putting it back to the way it was before. I don't know the fix for everything though, so this part is up to you

Well, if that didn't work, there's always the unfailing mehod: Grab those iPod USB Cables, because it's time to Restore your iPod.

But wait! Before you slap that Restore button, there's something you must know: you can't use the Shift+Restore technique unless you're in Recovery mode. The Shift+Restore technique (Mac: option+Restore) allows you to choose which iPod Software file (iPSW) you want to restore with. It comes in handy when you want to downgrade your iPod usinga simple method. So come along now, and follow the following steps to successfully revive your iPod:

1. Go to http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ and choose the iPod Touch firmware you want to use from the lower list (1.1.1 Recommended if you're planning on jailbreaking again)
    2. Plug your iPod into your USB Cable, and plug the USB cable into your Computer
    3. Put your iPod in Recovery Mode by rebooting it (hold the Home and Sleep button until the iPod reboots) and holding down the Home key once it boots back up. Once you get a picture of the USB Cable and the iTunes icon you know you're in Recovery Mode
    4. iTunes should say that it has detected an iPod in Recovery Mode and must be Restred before it can be used again. Hold down the Shift key while clicking on Restore (Mac: option+Restore)
    5. Navigate to the iPSW file we downloaded from felixbrun's site
    6. Once the Restore process is complete your iPod should boot into the firmware that you used to Restore it with

After the Restore your iPod should be asked to be connected with your Computer. Do as it says, resistance is futile. Then follow the instructions in iTunes to set your iPod up once again. I'd recommend not using a backup, because if you want to quicky jailbreak back up to 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 again it's better to turn on Syncing for eveything after you're done with jailbreaking.

If it doesn't work try again, making sure that your iPod is in Recovery Mode before you Restore it. Also, make sure the iPSW file you downloaded ends with .ipsw, not .zip. If it ends with .zip extract it before Restoring your iPod. If all else fails ask for support from another knowledgeable person at these forums.

2.6 3rd Party Apps not saving info (SIP-VoIP, TTR, etc.)

Is SIP-VoIP not remembering your account info when you open it again? Does TTR ask you to set username every time you open it? "The culprit isn't foreigners", it's the root access issue again! We need to make symlinks that allow these files to be saved. There's an Automatic Method and a Manual Method:

Automatic Method:

2. When prompted to do so, type ihacks.us/index.xml, so the whole line should look like the following: http://ihacks.us/index.xml
    4. Once sources have been refreshed go to Install > AlliPodHacks Software > Fix Jailbreak Symlinks 1

It didn't work for me when I tried it, I got that nasty main script execution failed error. So I did the Manual Method, but try the Automatic Method to check if it works.

Manual Method:

Code:
      Code:
      rm -r /private/var/root/Media
      Code:
      ln -s /private/var/mobile/Media /private/var/root/Media
      Code:
      cp -R /private/var/root/Library /private/var/mobile/
      Code:
      rm -r /private/var/root/Library
      Code:
      ln -s /private/var/mobile/Library /private/var/root/Library

Now saving setting in SIP-VoIP or your username in TTR should work now. If it doesn't work try copying/pasting he commands in SSH, to be sure you didn't write something incorrectly. If all else fails ask for support from another knowledgeable person at these forums.

3. Downgrading

3.1 Downgrade to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2

It's not as simple as it used to be to downgrade your iPod Touch to an older firmware. Apple has stopped the Shift+Restore technique from working, but there's a way around it. If you put your iPod in Recovery Mode the 1.1.3 firmware won't be there to stop you from downgrading so easily:

1. Go to http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ and choose the iPod Touch firmware you want to use from the lower list (1.1.1 Recommended if you're planning on jailbreaking again)
    2. Plug your iPod into your USB Cable, and plug the USB cable into your Computer
    3. Put your iPod in Recovery Mode by rebooting it (hold the Home and Sleep button until the iPod reboots) and holding down the Home key once it boots back up. Once you get a picture of the USB Cable and the iTunes icon you know you're in Recovery Mode
    4. iTunes should say that it has detected an iPod in Recovery Mode and must be Restred before it can be used again. Hold down the Shift key while clicking on Restore (Mac: option+Restore)
    5. Navigate to the iPSW file we downloaded from felixbrun's site
    6. Once the Restore process is complete your iPod should boot into the firmware that you used to Restore it with

After the Restore your iPod should be asked to be connected with your Computer. Do as it says, resistance is futile. Then follow the instructions in iTunes to set your iPod up once again.

If it doesn't work try again, making sure that your iPod is in Recovery Mode before you Restore it. Also, make sure the iPSW file you downloaded ends with .ipsw, not .zip. If it ends with .zip extract it before Restoring your iPod. If all else fails ask for support from another knowledgeable person at these forums.

Special Thanks

Special thanks go out to the following people:

-AlliPodHax (Manual symlink for Media and Library)
    -iatealitlebabie (Manual moving of the Applications folder)
    -The Dev Team (for their jailbreak)
    -Nate True (for his jailbreak)

If you feel you need your name here please PM me.

IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER THINGS I SHOULD ADD TO THIS GUIDE PLEASE PM IT TO ME, IT'S EASIER FOR ME TO KEEP TRACK OF.
  4. iSecks

iSecks New Member

5. itouch myself

itouch myself New Member

the ttr fix isn't working for me

i type this into the winscp console window:

and get this:

cp: cannot overwrite directory /private/var/mobile/Media with non-directory /private/var/root/Media

any ideas?
  6. ketanitem

ketanitem New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Whenever you're stuck with the spinning wheel, don't rush yourself to restore.
    Always login with your ssh prior to installing anything, if you're stuck you could always check if the file permission or ownership is correct. Or worst scenario is just remove the apps directory you just installed from /Applications, then your spinning wheel should stop. Just do the normal uninstall using the Installer. Done.

Btw, it was mentioned that ijailbreakmobile is using Nate True's method, but infact it's using Dev's.

Cheers.
  7. dpocius

dpocius New Member

Any word on the "ziphone" JB method I've been seeing around? It's supposed to be the greatest thing since the seamless bra. It's been reported to work on iPods as well as iPhones. I've seen the usual assortment of "xelent!"/"sux!" comments on this method elsewhere on this site, but a reliable, well-researched opinion would be great.

Also, is there a way to tell which version of BSD subsystem (2.0, 2.1, ?) you've got installed?

BTW, thanx for the tutorial! I may be edging closer to actually trying this for myself.

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/
  8. dpocius

dpocius New Member

Some background questions

The word "amateur" under my name ain't no lie! A couple of questions that need straight answers:

1) Why upgrade from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3? Pros and cons? How about WRT the situation with the imminent release of the Apple SDK? I've heard scuttlebutt that the Dev team wants to hold off on a formal release of JB 1.1.3 to intercept any last-minute spanners Apple may throw in the works. Would it make sense to hold off until then, or am I missing some whiz-bang stuff besides wiggly icons?

2) After doing a JB upgrade, I'll be left with an iPod in factory condition, except for 1.1.3 firmware, jailbreak code mods, and the Installer app on the screen, correct? Can I then pay the 20 bucks (one yuppie drinking coupon) and buy the iPhone apps on iTunes with a jailbroke iPod? Will Apple discover the JB and extract any sort of vengeance during the install process?

Enquiring minds want to know...
  9. rickatnight11

rickatnight11 New Member

Fantastic post. Thank you for your hard work.
  10. rickatnight11

rickatnight11 New Member

Any chance we could get a fix for the "Main script" error for those that the SSH commands haven't helped? (Yes, I have tried them all. 4755, 0755, +R, you name it.) does anyone NOT get this error so I can know if its worth rejailbreaking?