iOS 4.1 [FAQ]Greenpois0n and Limera1n

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by halolordkiller3, Oct 10, 2010.

1. halolordkiller3

halolordkiller3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Well due to the recent shocking events, everyone is either getting confused, pissed, happy, or just "WTF Mate?"

I'll be more than happy to help all of you with what the heck has just been going on and what is going to happen or might happen.

Let me first start off with what has been going on for a while now, I'm talking about, Greenpois0n.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Q: What is it?
    A: Greenpois0n was originally, and still is, a way for developers to find exploits in IOS firmwares to make jailbreak tools.

Q: Then why is everyone saying its to jailbreak IOS 4.1?
    A: Well that is true and here is what has happened. Back when 3.x came out they were going to use it as an actual jailbreaking tool, but plans changed, blackra1n came out as well as spirit which by then Greenpois0n would have been a waste. So time went on and 4.x came out. Then boom!! jailbreakme 2.0 came out and you can have another jailbreak again, but when 4.1 arrived there was no jailbreak so the dev team started up the "jailbreak" version of Greenpois0n and was going to release it on 10/10/10.

Q: Ok so I got the history, but what kind of jailbreak is it and how is it good for me?
    A: Well it does a lot for you, well if your the lucky ones and I will explain that. Greenpois0n today was like i said going to be used on 4.1 and would make "all current" devices pwned4life, meaning apple will NOT beable to patch it with firmeware updates. That is what a basic understanding of a bootrom exploit does. Now when i said "all current" devices im talking about 4th gen + IPad devices.

Q: What is the exploit name for Greenpois0n?
    A: The name the dev team used was SHAtter.

Q: Why will Greenpois0n only work on IPhone 4, IPod Touch 4 and the IPad?
    A: The exploit SHAtter is another bootrom exploit found ONLY in the A4 chips which are only in these devices as of now, which is why none of the older devices will work with this tool.

Now that you understand Greenpoison let's move onto the newest tool that has popped up out of no where (sorta).

Please Register or Log in to view images

Q: What is it?
    A: Just another jailbreaking tool for IOS 4.0+.

Q: Who made this?
    A: Well technically the compiling of the program is your famous old(but young) friend, Geohot. Now I say technically because the exploit isn't his.

Q: Whoa wasn't his? I'm Lost!
    A: What happened was Limera1n was going to be used for 4.0 when it came out and it was going to be the bootrom exploit that is in it now, but Geohot decided to quit the IPhone hacking community and take a break. Later on the announcement of the Greenpois0n ETA was released and Geohot decided to come back extremely fast and "steal" one of Comex's exploits and use it in Limera1n. The exploit he got from Comex was to make the bootrom untethered. If your wondering, all bootroms are tethered to begin with. You need to use a userland jailbreak to make it untethered.

Q: Ok, I get it now sorta, but who is comex?
    A: Comex is your best friend when it comes to jailbreaking. He is the actual father of most of the exploits out there, well recent exploits. He has a ton of exploits in his time capsule that he plans to use over time. He doesn't make the jailbreaking tools himself, other then the famous jailbreakme.com website. No, Comex is just the big man behind the scenes.

Q: Ok so how is Limera1n different than Greenpois0n?
    A: There actually not that much different in the end. They are both Bootrom exploits and are both untethered. Actually Limera1n is tethered, but with the "stolen" code from Comex even though Comex is now saying he is giving Geohot permission to use it, makes Limera1n untethered. In the end, they both get you your jailbreak; however, Limera1n works on all devices, not just ones with the A4 chip. (currently MC Models are being tested)

What Has Just Happened​

Well here is exactly what happened (if you read the FAQ). Greenpois0n as well all know was going to be released on 10/10/10, but now that Limera1n was released on 10/9/10, there would be no need for Greenpois0n because it would be a waste of an exploit. Now many people are extremely pissed off that Geohot did this, while the others (myself included) are not.

If the devs are reading this, then I do agree with you on the fact that I would be pissed as well that all your most recent hard work was just smacked in the face and realizing that it's not needed anymore, BUT also think about what will come next.

What Will Happen, Hopefully​

Greenpois0n once again will be pushed back or as the dev team is thinking they may just use Limera1n's exploit for now and save SHAtter, but it will be used for the even newer devices since its based on the SHAtter exploit(devices with the A4 Chip) As you all know and have heard/read, the WSJ, Yahoo, Google, New York Times, Fox News have all been reporting that the rumor for a Verizon OR Sprint, IPhone will be out in early 2011. In doing so even MORE people will have IPhone's and by then there should be the new IPad. All of these devices will (more then likely) still have the A4 chip in them, so many more users will want jailbreaks! Now with this we hope that Apple doesn't close the exploit that SHAtter uses, if so, then are Lord and Saver, Comex, or someone else will have to find another exploit in the newer models.

As a side note, due to all of this mess with Limera1n and Greenpois0n, people you need to be grateful that the dev team and others are doing this on there own time and even more importantly, for FREE! I can guarantee you if they where charging money for this, they would have been rich by now. Be happy that you can jailbreak your devices now, that's what should really matter here.

I Hope this answer a lot and helps you.

If you need support with Limera1n, go over to my other thread:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2414488#post2414488
  2. applehacker

applehacker Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    does limera1n hactivates the iphone 4 on 4.1.
  3. halolordkiller3

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I would imagine so, but imo you should never jailbreak or unlock with the sim card in the phone.
  4. applehacker

applehacker Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    so what should i do im on 4.0 and restoring to 4.0 again with no att sim or any phone book sim card ????
  5. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    good FAQ
  6. Dalton63841

Dalton63841 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is actually not completely acurate...Limerain uses a bootrom exploit that geohot has been sitting on for a while...he DID however use a beta version of comex's userland jailbreak in conjunction with his bootrom exploit, in order to make it UNtethered.

btw not trying to defend geohot, using comex's stuff without his permission is reprehensible...What I said here was just for completion...
  7. halolordkiller3

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    just update to 4.1 BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR BASEBAND SAVED WITH TINY UMBRELLA! If you dont want 4.1 then just use jailbreakme.

Leave the sim card out after you restore to 4.1. then put it in and go through the activation crap. After that when you can get to the screen itself, remove the sim card and use Limera1n. After the jailbreak turn the phone on and when it gets to the sim card page, put the sim card back in and your all set!
  8. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    good stuff, funny, needs a sticky. Thanks for clearing things up, I should make some of these considering the time I have been here. got exams..
  9. halolordkiller3

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    ah, must of misread that somewhere then because i thought i saw that before lol thanks for that let me change it.
  10. madmcclinton

madmcclinton Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This should be stickied it contains most of the important info on the jailbreaks and is actually correct.