[FAQ] Cydia Store

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by spoonforknife, Mar 6, 2009.

1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

When will the Cydia Store be released?
    It's out right now.

It is an update to the existing Cydia, works just like the existing Cydia, and is not a separate application. You will not have to pay for Cydia, nor will you have to pay for anything else that doesn't currently cost anything (unless the developer changes the price.)

Is everything going to cost money now?
    No. Unless the developer changes the price on an item, the price will stay the same. What's free now will stay free. What costs money now will continue to cost money. Examples of applications that cost money include Snapture, MewSeek Pro, and Intelliscreen. Instead of going through the developer themself, you can simply buy the applications through Cydia. It's much easier for you and the developer.

Where can I find some more information about it?
    Ask around. Browse Saurik's twitter feed.

What's the purpose of this thing?
    The Cydia Store exists to provide an easier outlet for those already selling jailbroken applications to continue selling their applications, and to provide an alternative to those whose applications do get rejected by the App Store such as Podcaster. It will also draw more developers as well as regular end-users to the iPhone platform.

Won't this fill Cydia up with hundreds of iFart clones?
    It might. But there will soon be a ratings and comment system. So you will know what you should or should not buy based on those.

How will I pay for applications?
    Cydia Store uses Amazon and Paypal with verification from Facebook Connect and Google accounts.

What are the new features?
    It makes it easier for developers to charge for their applications, but in addition to that, there is a brand new comment system with ratings as well that integrates with Facebook Connect and Google accounts. You can see some screenshots of the future comments system below.

What are the applications in the Cydia Store?
    For a full list, see BigDaveyJ's thread here.

How do I get my application in the Cydia Store?
    Contact saurik.
  2. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Good god finally, I was so close to making one of these to stop all those posts.

D:
  3. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

nice faq! and in regards to the free to paid thing, i think a lot of the free will be changed to paid. who wouldn't want to make some money?
    but that is just me.

good job though
  4. JohnnyAndroid

JohnnyAndroid Active Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    Teacher!!! Question!! Is there now going to be a(n) Cydia Store Bot?
  5. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ya i kno

Please Register or Log in to view images

btw where did u get the screenie?
  6. spoonforknife

This post, along with the post I made in the "vote..." thread was that developers are the people making this. Without them, we would be without any of these great applications. They can do whatever the hell they want. It's theirs!

Also, the jailbreaking community has proved quite stingy, with the various cracked application forums and websites popping up every few seconds, so I don't think developers will start to charge for little applications like "Air Horn," and "Vista."

Please Register or Log in to view images

It was Skylar's.
  7. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

and i know this. so much respect goes to them. but don't you think that having everything in cydia be paid (because trust me eventually most things will be paid) is a bad idea? people will find ways to upload the great apps online and a new cydia app site will emerge online. hey the developers want to start charging us? go ahead. i do not mind. just watch the many cydia users crack the cydia apps (if that is the term to use) and upload them online.
  8. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Haha thanks. But you guys know the threads will not stop. My only question, will this be an update to Cydia, as in will there no longer be the classic one, or is this a new application to be downloaded beside Cydia?
  9. spoonforknife

However, while I do agree that developers should be able to do whatever the hell they want, I don't think everything in Cydia will become paid now that it's easier for their applications to cost money. I'm not going to charge for my packages.

Cracking is always going to happen. People don't like paying for software, and it's inevitable. There are cracked versions of various paid applications already floating around the internet and even on Cydia itself. I don't see how this is different.

As I stated in the FAQ, it's an update to the existing Cydia.
  10. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Great idea! Then we can get everything for free! YEA- osh*t.

http://www.ifans.com/rules

Are you an idiot? Do you really need to pirate? That's the definition of WORTH. If it's worth it, then you buy it. If it's not, you can obviously live without it.