Fantastic Contraption Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by berky93, Aug 4, 2009.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

Fantastic Contraption Review
    By Berky93

Please Register or Log in to view images

I've never done an app review before, so bear with me if I forgot something or didn't represent a certain aspect of the game correctly.

Fantastic contraption is a simple game in which the goal is to get the red objects entirely into the goal area. You do this by creating machines out of the basic pieces you are given. There are five different pieces you are allowed to use, and you can use as many of each piece as you want. Touching the yellow gear in the top right corner of your screen brings up a menu with all five pieces as well as move, delete, save, and menu buttons. While you are placing a piece, the yellow gear is replaced by a magnification window to help you get perfect placement in those tight places. If you ever forget what each control does, pressing the (?) button will bring up a menu to remind you:

The game is very easy to pick up and play, and the level progression is easy going. It is a perfect game for fans of the online flash version and newcomers alike. There is a multi-part tutorial that you have the option to play which leads you through every aspect of gameplay. It even shows you how to refine a design using trial-and-error, which is very useful during the game.

Once you beat a level you are given the option to save your design. If you save your design, you can upload it online for others to see.

There is also a level editor in which you can create your own levels to play and share online. You can fully customize the level, from the size of the red objects to the shape of the building area to the location of the goal. You can also create green pieces which are stationary, and yellow pieces which react to physics just like your machine.

There is also an online section of the game. To access the online features, you must first sign in to your fantastic contraption account by pressing the "Sign In" button. if you do not have an account you can create a new one from within the app by pressing "My Account" and hitting "New User."

Online gameplay is similar to standard gameplay. The only difference is that you are playing user-made levels. There are many, many users playing this game so you never run out of levels to play. You can select from multiple categories to find new levels to play:
    -Most recent levels
    -Top rated levels
    -50 random levels

You can also search for other users' levels and designs.

The online section of the app also has two sections entirely for you. They are labeled "My uploaded designs" and "My uploaded levels." From here you can check out all of the designs and levels you have uploaded. This is a great feature because if anything happens to your ipod, such as a restore, and the application's data gets erased, anything you submitted online will still be there for you to play.

The graphics in the game are very colorful and fun, and perfectly suit the game. The physics in the game are very well done. each piece reacts realistically to gravity and collisions. All of the moving pieces have a load limit, and if you put too much weight on them they wont be able to turn. This makes the game challenging and fun.

The sound effects in the game are not the best. They are not bad, but they are nothing special. There is no background music, just slight clicks and beeps while selecting pieces and performing other actions.

The game costs $2.99

Rating:
    Graphics: 9
    Price:9
    Sound Effects: 3
    Gameplay Value: 10
    Replay Value: 10
    Ease of Use: 10
    Overall: 8.5 out of 10

Highly Recommended

^click link to buy app^

Attached Files:

2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Ahhh finally. Been waiting for someone to review this. It is a brilliant game with great replay value. Great review
  3. The_OneDa

The_OneDa New Member

Your review is sexy.
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Great review, my To-Buy list is getting bigger and bigger every day.

And people like you aren't making it any smaller.

5. berky93

berky93 New Member

I know what you mean. among all of the crappy apps in the app store, there are still enough gems to fill a jewelry store.
  6. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey Berky nice to see you around here. Fantastic review by the way.
  7. iProd

iProd Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
  8. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Just thought I'd say that this game is also a free PC flash game so play it online before you buy if you want.
    It's also really fun to go on youtube and look up things like "Fantastic Contraption Hall of Fame" and see the crazy way some people have completed the levels. Makes you want to play more.
    I agree, worth the money for it