Famous Developers Share Their Favorite PS2 Games

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by qaiz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)

Please Register or Log in to view images

In case you guys didn’t know, this week marks the tenth anniversary of the PlayStation 2's launch in North America. As part of the celebrations of the decade old console, Sony rounded up a bunch of big-name developers and asked them what their favorite PS2 games were.

It's not just Sony or Sony BFF developers giving their thoughts about their favorite PS2 game, it’s everyone from Ken Levine to Cliff Bleszinski to Warren Spector to Tim Schafer along with some interesting - and unexpected - responses.

Each one of the developers sounded off on their three favorite games, in order of preference, but for the sake of brevity I'll only include a small selection of the developer’s top choices. For the rest, you’ll have to head over to the PlayStation.Blog.

Tim Schafer (Psychonauts)
    Katamari Damacy – This game takes me into a crazy world that I never want to leave. Growing from the size of a mouse to the size of a planet is incredibly satisfying to me.

Ken Levine (BioShock)
    Dark Cloud 2 - It's Diablo meets Sim City meets Tiger Woods Golf meets Pokemon. If you can only afford one game in your life, this might be the one to pick up.

Warren Spector (Deus Ex)
    Ico – For one thing, the vistas and screens it offers are gorgeous. And all that gorgeousness offers a window into a world that feels more real than almost any other in gaming history. You can FEEL the history, the depth of this world in a way no other game can match.

Cliff Bleszinski (Gears of War)
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City – Took the bits that worked from GTAIII and polished the heck out of them.

Chet Faliszek (Left 4 Dead)
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - This is my favorite of the series, if for no other reason than driving around town with my gang in a bus grabbing territory.

Todd Howard (Oblivion)
    Grand Theft Auto III – The mark of a truly great game is how many people try to recapture or emulate it and fail. There's a long line behind this one.

David Jaffe (God of War)
    Ico - Moody, emotional, and just an overall fantastic adventure. People go on and on about the artistry of this game but many forget what a great GAME-Y GAME it was: great puzzles, fun exploration, and a great, hook-y ‘protect the girl' core mechanic make this one of my top 10 games of all time.

So happy Birthday, my sweet PS2

Let us know your favorite PS2 games in the comments!
  2. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Jeez two people said Ico...I'm surprised Shadow of the Colossus didn't make it. I really loved that game. Although the PS2 really offered a lot of great things as far as series go, such as:
    -MGS 2&3 (1 was for PS1 correct?)
    -Jak and Daxter 1-3
    -Ratchet and Clank 1-4
    -Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII (I know qaiz disagrees with me on this, but I liked 10. 10-2 had a fairly interesting storyline and some of the best cutscenes I've seen, and 12 was just a graphical masterpiece on the ps2)
    -Devil May Cry 1-3
    -God of War 1-2
    -Dragon Ball Z Budakai - Budakai Tenchaichi 3 (some of the best fighting games I've ever played)

EDIT: I failed to read all about who those people were. I'm very surprised that David Jaffe picked Ico, and Todd Howard picking GTA. If anything, maybe if they switched answers I'd be less surprised.
  3. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Nice choices there!

I agree with your choices, and Il make my own list tomorrow since its 7:40am and I haven been asleep yet T_T
  4. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    -Dragon Ball Z Budakai - Budakai Tenchaichi 3 (some of the best fighting games I've ever played)

Agreed
  5. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    one word

C.O.D
  6. Matt_Maggots

Matt_Maggots Banned

Kingdom hearts I and II should have been here!!!
  7. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I second what Chet Faliszek's favorite ps2 game is. (I never played it on PS2 tho because my mom wouldnt let me get rated m games

but I downloaded it on my 360) GTA: SA is a very fun game an fun really never ends. Has to be the best GTA game
    But my favorite ps2 game(s) were the Tekken Series and TimeSplitters 2
  8. Pandawg

Pandawg Community Development

That game was amazing. All of the Budakis were

9. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Agreedx3
    I love DBZ, is my favorite anime, and till this day i still play Budakai Tenchaichi 3, never get tired of polishing my abilities and kicking butt