False memory reading on ipot:

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by Touchnoob0211, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My ipot has more than 300mb of free space and i wanted to add a tv show that was only 270mb to it and it would not let me saying there was not enough room. anyone know why this would be>?
  2. iPlunder

iPlunder New Member

Which jail breaking method did you use?
  3. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    im at 1.1.1, and i just used the simple jailbreakme.com....
  4. Ahaus

Ahaus New Member

Have you played with size allocated to program ?
    Did the iPod use it's own memory space (8 gb or 16 gb) as ram ? or 112 mb of ram is installed on iPod Touch?
    Did the iPod Touch take some place in space as swap space like Linux or Windows (don't know how OSX works)
    Think about that, on your computer, did you full your HD containing Windows until it rest only few mb or bytes ? Probably no, to help OS to run better and faster...

Just ask some questions that would probably help !
  5. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No to all of that but that on the sys info app it shows total ram as 112.. Its an 8 gb.. On itunes the total total size is 7.27 gb... Does that seem lower than normal?
  6. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It seems there's a bit of a confusion here

Please Register or Log in to view images

There are three main areas of memory you can access:
    • The 116 MB SDRAM, generally called "physical ram", used by the applications and CPU like in a normal PC to store the running programs, their variables and so on. As long as it's not swapped of course. That's the one indicated in SysInfo hardware page.
    • The 16 or 8 GB Flash, which acts as a disk on the iPod. It is splitted into two partitions, the first one is originally for the applications and is about 262 MB.
    • The rest of the flash is allocated to the /tmp and mostly the media you put on the iPod, it is about 8 or 16 GB minus the small part above.

iTunes only shows you the part of the last point that is allocated to music, video and so on. In other words, the "user" part as was originally intended by Apple.

So those 300 MB were shown ... where? In iTunes? Maybe it needs more room to manage the iPod library, or your jailbreak had a problem (I don't think it's the case, it's an old problem):

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=82966

If that's the case, check the sticky about jailbreaking.
  7. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ok.. Thanks i understand. I have not messed with the partitions to get more mem for apps.. And im guessing its just itunes using memory on the ipot and just not showing it.. So the ram is just 112 mb out of the 8gb flash? Or is it its own chip?